A party isn’t a party without plenty of finger foods, dips, desserts and little snacks to nibble and share. With these 5 easy tips and 19 recipes you can put together a complete, well-rounded appetizer menu that is as satisfying for your guests as it is fun to eat!
Finger foods, appetizers and dips create a more casual party atmosphere than a sit down meal. And let’s be honest, we all love a reason to enjoy a plate full of our favorite cheesy, salty, snack-y favorites!
But just because you’re serving appetizers and dips at your get-together doesn’t mean that your guests will go hungry. With just a little planning and a few simple tips, your finger food menu can eat just like a meal… or even better!
How to Plan A Party Menu
Planning your party should be just as fun as the party itself. Whether it New Year’s Eve, Christmas, game nights, girls’ nights or tailgates, here are 5 tips I use to plan my finger food menus.
- Anchor your menu with heavy finger foods. Think of them almost as main dishes. They usually contain proteins and will be the most filling part of your menu. Think sandwiches, meatballs, shrimp, skewers and the like.
- Consider your dips almost as side dishes. They come in to support and compliment the finger foods. So choose them accordingly.
- Always add a green or fruit salad to round out your party “meal.” Jello salads perfect for parties too. Think Classic Layered Strawberry Jello Salad or a fun Cherry Coca-Cola Jello Salad.
- Fill in the gaps with little bites, like spiced nuts, that your party guests can continue to snack on throughout the night.
- Finish strong with desserts! You know everyone looks forward to dessert no matter the occasion. So have a few different types of sweets your guests can choose from- cakes and pies are good. Cookies, bars and brownies keep in tune with the finger food theme. And don’t forget candies, even a snack mix!