Make the best Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars with this easy recipe that requires zero mixing or kitchen tools! Loaded with chewy browned coconut, crunchy pecans, oodles of melted chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and a buttery graham cracker crust, these 7 layers of traditional southern goodness just happen to be the perfect indulgent dessert for any occasion.
This is one of the simplest “baking” recipes I know, but the results are absolutely off the charts when it comes to heavenly dessert indulgence. A delicious blend of flavor and texture with sumptuous melted chocolate to spare, Hello Dollies are a decadent cross between everything that’s delicious about the best cookies and holiday dessert bars.
What You Need To Make Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars
- graham crackers
- sweetened flake coconut
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- chopped pecans
- sweetened condensed milk
The Origins of Hello Dolly Bars
How did such a wonderfully rich but easy dessert come to be? According to Southern Living, Hello Dollies officially greeted the world back in 1965 when 11 year old Alecia Couch of Dallas, TX submitted this recipe to Clementine Paddleford’s food column in The Week magazine.
Now, I’m not sure what’s more charming, little 11 year old Alecia sharing her grandmother’s recipe for print or Clementine Paddleford’s whimsical name. Pseudonym or not, that’s some moniker. Alecia it seems also had an affinity for magical handles and named her treats Hello Dollies. Inspired by the Broadway musical? All indications point to yes.
But a treat this delicious can’t go by a single name. Hello Dollies are also known as Magic Cookie Bars, Magic Bars, Coconut Dream Bars & 7 Layer Bars depending on where you live and who you know.
How to Make Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars
You might think some people call these Magic Bars because the simple way this recipe comes together almost seems like magic. And that just might be true! It’s almost impossible to believe that a baked good this delicious requires absolutely NO kitchen equipment!
- This recipe begins by pouring melted butter in a 9×9 baking pan (Layer 1). Then topping it with crushed graham crackers (Layer 2). I usually use a zip top bag and rolling pin to crush my graham crackers, but a zip top bag and some eager volunteers to squeeze and crush those crackers do just as well.
- Layer on almost all of the coconut, chocolate chips and all of the pecans (Layers 3, 4, 5).
- Open a can of sweetened condensed milk. Drizzle all of the milk over the top of your layers (Layer 6).
- Top with the rest of the chocolate chips and coconut (Layer 7). Press down gently to bind together the layers.
- Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 25-30 minutes to golden, gooey perfection. Cool completely, slice and get ready to be swept off your feet!
NOTE: Some folks like to add a layer of white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or toffee chips as their 7th layer.
How to store Hello Dolly Bars
- These cookie bars can be stored with wax paper in between in an air tight container.
- Refrigeration isn’t necessary, but they are yummy cold!
- Hello Dollies last 2-3 days, but only if you have the best self control known to man.
Other Cookie & Brownie Recipes You’ll Love
- Perfect Coconut Cookies with Pecans
- Infamous Neiman Marcus Cookies
- Gooey Black Bottom Pecan Pie Brownies
- Classic Lemon Drop Crinkle Cookies
- Loaded Strawberry Jam Brownies
- Raspberry Thumbprint Coconut Macaroons
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars
- 1 stick butter
- 1 ½ C graham cracker crumbs
- 1 ⅓ C sweetened flake coconut, separated
- 1 ¼ C semi sweet chocolate chips, separated
- 1 C chopped pecans
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in microwave and pour into bottom of 9x9 baking pan.
- Top evenly with graham cracker crumbs to cover the bottom the pan. Press gently down into butter.
- Evenly top with 1 C flaked coconut followed by 1 C chocolate chips and 1 C chopped pecans. Gently press down to bind layers together. Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk to completely cover the tops of all layers.
- Sprinkle with rest of coconut and chocolate chips as a topping. Gently press down all layers again. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove from oven. Cool completely. Slice into 16-18 bars. Enjoy!
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!