Traditional Louisiana Natchitoches Meat Pies have never been easier than with this short cut air fryer recipe! Roll out pie crusts make prep easy. The spicy beef and pork filling keep it authentic. And a quick round in the air fryer crisps it all up in a snap!
If you love real Natchitoches Meat Pies, then you know that making them is a labor of love. One I have happily taken on for years because they are my absolute, 100%, all time favorite party/holiday food. A fact that is true for all of my family. Meat pies are what it’s all about.
TRADITIONAL RECIPE: Mini Louisiana Natchitoches Meat Pies
However, I am all for working smarter, not harder when I can. So is my mom. That’s why for the past year, I have been working on honing our family’s Natchitoches Meat Pie recipe to make it as simple as possible without losing any of its original Louisiana goodness.
Why You’ll Love This Short Cut
- The pre-made, refrigerated roll out pie crusts eliminate a time consuming preparation step for this recipe.
- An authentic Natchitoches Meat Pie has a thin, flaky pastry crust. The pre-made roll out pie crust is just the right thickness for authentic pies!
- 4 pie crusts match up perfectly with the amount of meat filling this recipe creates.
- The air fryer cooks multiple 4 inch pies at one time (I can cook 10).
- Cooking in the air fryer is quick and eliminates after-frying “fry smell” in the house.
- Since there is no deep frying, clean up is a snap!
Ingredients For Air Fryer Natchitoches Meat Pies
- ground beef
- ground sausage
- green onions
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes
- ground cayenne pepper
- all purpose flour
- refrigerated roll out pie crusts
How To Make Natchitoches Meat Pies in the Air Fryer
Make the Spicy Filling. Combine beef and sausage, onions, and seasoning in a large skillet and brown. Don’t over cook because your pies still have to fry! Sprinkle flour over meat. Stir in and continue to brown for 1-2 minutes. The flour will bind the meat filling together.
Cut out the Crust & Assemble. Roll out the pre-made pie crusts on a lightly floured surfaced. Using a large cookie or biscuit cutter, cut into 4 in. circles.
Spoon the spicy meat filling onto one side of each of the dough circles. With a little water on your forefinger, lightly wet edges of the circles, fold over and crimp edges with a damp fork.
For another short cut, use this easy pie crimper. It makes quick work of sealing the pies and creates a pretty, uniform look!
Fry in the Air Fryer. After you have crimped as many pies as will fit in your air fryer basket (mine will hold 10 mini pies), simply place them in the basket. (No need to spray with non-stick cooking spray.) Cook the the meat pies in the air fryer at 350° Fahrenheit for 15-18 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.
While one batch of pies is air frying, continue to prep the other pies, so you will have a second batch ready to cook up as soon as the first comes out!
Freezing Natchitoches Meat Pies
Louisiana Natchitoches Meat Pies are perfect for making ahead and freezing. Simple make the filling, assemble the pies, then store in freezer safe container or freezer zip top bag laid flat with parchment or wax paper between any stacked layers. Pies can be cooked frozen in the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes.
I often make a whole batch, but only cook half and store the rest. That way I always have some on hand for ball games, family game nights or impromptu family gatherings!
Other Easy Louisiana Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Easy Louisiana Biscuit Beignets
- Louisiana Pickled Shrimp in a Jar
- Easy Louisiana Sausage Jambalaya
- Easy Louisiana Blonde Gumbo
- Million Dollar Shrimp & Crab Dip
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Air Fryer Natchitoches Meat Pies
- Air Fryer
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (hot)
- ¾ cup chopped green onions
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 4 pre-made roll out pie crusts
- Combine beef and sausage, onions, and seasoning in skillet and brown. Do not drain or over cook.
- Sift flour over meat. Stir in and continue to brown for 1-2 minutes. The flour will bind the meat filling together. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Roll out the pre-made pie crusts on a lightly floured surfaced. Using a large cookie or biscuit cutter, cut into 4 in. circles.
- Spoon spicy meat filling onto one side of each of the dough circles. With a little water on your forefinger, lightly wet edges of the circles, fold over and crimp edges with a damp fork.
- Cook in the air fryer at 350° Fahrenheit for 15-18 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.