Wonderfully tender & moist, this easy Roasted Chicken is bathed in buttermilk & herbs then oven roasted for deliciously flavorful boneless chicken breast & thighs! Perfect as a main dish or made in advance as meal prep for salads, sandwiches or other meals, this simple recipe will make juicy, tasty chicken a regular on your table! Don’t want to use your oven? Try this recipe on the grill!
What You Need To Make Roasted Buttermilk Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless chicken
- dried dill
- dried parsley
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried oregano
- salt, pepper
Chicken from your oven doesn’t have to be boring. As a matter of fact, it shouldn’t be! Say good bye to dry, bland boneless chicken breasts and hello to moist, tender chicken that delivers loads of savory flavor every single time. Your new secret? Buttermilk.
A good herb-filled buttermilk soak gently tenderizes chicken breasts (and thighs) with naturally active enzymes and acids, rendering perfectly fork tender, juicy chicken bite after bite. As your chicken marinates, rich creamy buttermilk coats every nook and cranny, sealing in moisture and delivering layers of mouthwatering flavor. Should you share your secret? Of course! All the best secrets are shared ones.
How To Marinate Your Chicken in Buttermilk
This recipe is all about simple prep. With a just a little planning, a 9×13 dish and some plastic wrap, you’ll be creating mouthwatering chicken in no time!
- Your buttermilk soak is quick & easy to put together, just make sure you plan ahead to allow your chicken at least 2 hours in the fridge, but overnight is good too. You really shouldn’t marinate it longer than that because it will get tough instead of tender.
- I’ve found the easiest times to start my chicken are the night before, when I get up or during my lunch break. That way my chicken is ready to go when I am!
- To get started, place your chicken in the bottom of your baking dish. Mix together your herbs and spices in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with your herb mixture, then pour the buttermilk over the top. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours.
How to Roast Buttermilk Chicken
While this isn’t a true roasting method, it creates a lovely browned chicken breast or thigh without over cooking. (For even more golden brown chicken, use skin on breasts and thighs instead of skinless.)
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil (for quick clean up later) and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Remove the chicken from marinade and place on the pan.
- Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes. Then turn on the oven’s broiler, lightly baste the chicken with leftover marinade and brown the chicken under the broiler for 5-10 minutes.
What to Serve with Tender Roasted Buttermilk Chicken
- Creamy Dill Potato Salad
- Cheesy Smashed Potato Bites
- Ultimate Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese
- Sauteed Green Beans with Bacon & Mushrooms
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Asparagus
I also use this Buttermilk Chicken to meal prep for these salads:
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Tender Roasted Buttermilk Chicken
- 2- 2.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts and thighs
- 3 C buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place chicken in a 9x13 baking dish. Mix herbs and spices together in a small bowl. Sprinkle about ½ herb mixture over chicken. Turn chicken over. Sprinkle almost all herbs and spices on the other side. Pour buttermilk over chicken. Sprinkle with the rest of the herb mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line a roasting pan or baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non stick cooking spray. Remove chicken from marinade and place in pan. (Set marinade aside.) Cook in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Turn up oven to broil. Baste chicken with a little marinade and brown chicken under broiler for 5 minutes or until golden. Serve hot.
Other Tasty Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Crock Pot BBQ Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Southern Pecan Chicken
- Ultimate Creamy Chicken Dip
- Cheesy Rotel Chicken & Spaghetti
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Tasty Lemon Chicken Salad