A good green bean recipe is a staple for the family table. But if you think bland, boring or just something to round out the meal when you hear green beans, then you’ve never had them quite like this. Sautéed with bacon and baby portobellas, these green beans are bursting with rich, earthy favors that you just won’t believe! Love green bean casserole, but don’t love all that goes in it? Well, this is your recipe too!
What You’ll Need To Whip Up These Green Beans
- fresh green beans
- thick sliced bacon
- baby portobella mushrooms
- chicken broth
- minced garlic
- dried minced onion
- salt & pepper
- fried onion strips
Any good bean recipe should start with a little bacon or ham. It’s salty, smoky flavor is just the things to add that depth to your side dish. And this recipe is no different. A little bacon sliced right off the end of the pound renders nice “bacon pieces” that are ready to go without a lot of prep!
Beans cooked just until fork tender in a little broth and bacon renderings absorb all kinds of flavor while retaining their vibrant color and a firmer texture. In just 5-10 minutes, they’ll be ready to jump in the pan with the rest of the ingredients!
But first, a little more flavor foundation… Baby ‘bellas and all their earthy goodness get their turn with the broth and bacon renderings, not to mention a little garlic and onion. The kitchen is smelling so good right about now. Your bound to have a few family members wander through just to see what you’re up to.
When the ‘shrooms start to shrink, then you know it’s time to toss it all together, making sure those beans are well-coated with all that goodness you’ve been working on.
Top them with a few fried onion strips for a festive flair and added crunch! This is no boring green bean recipe. This is a “stop dead in your tracks,” “I think I’ll have another helping” green bean recipe! I hope you and family enjoy!
Sauteed Green Beans with Bacon & Mushrooms
- 12-16 oz fresh green beans washed and clean
- 12 oz thick sliced bacon
- 5-6 large baby bella mushroom caps
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp bacon grease from cooked bacon
- 1 tsp minced garlice
- 1 tsp onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- fried onion strips
- Chop bacon into large pieces before cooking. Cook bacon pieces. Set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbsp of the bacon grease. Place skillet with reserved Tbsp bacon grease on stove top over medium heat. Add 1/4 C of the chicken broth. Stir. Add green beans. Toss beans to coat. Cover and simmer until beans are bright green and fork tender.
- Remove beans from skillet, put into a medium bowl and set aside. Keep broth mixture in the skillet.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth to the skillet with garlic and onion flakes. Stir while garlic browns. Add sliced mushrooms. Toss mushrooms in skillet to coat. Cook 2-3 minutes while mushrooms reduce.
- When mushrooms begin to shrink, remove from heat. Add beans and bacon back to hot skillet. Add salt and pepper. Toss to coat beans.
- Garnish with fried onion strips, if desired. Serve.
Find this and other great recipes on Meal Plan Monday!
From Stove Top to Table- What You Might Need
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!