Who says baked chicken has to be boring? This gorgeous dish was Inspired by a visit to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina. Crusted with pecans and rosemary and covered in a delicious Dijon glaze and sauce, this mouthwateringly elegant chicken says special occasion, but is surprisingly quick & easy to whip up. But shhh… we’ll let that part be our little secret!
What You Need To Make Southern Pecan Crusted Chicken
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- Dijon mustard
- chopped pecans
- sour cream
- white wine
The Engineer took me to The Biltmore Estate for my birthday a hundred years ago. It was during their “Festival of Flowers.” I’m sure it was a big sacrifice for him. Hours and hours of touring historic rooms, grounds, conservatory, carriage houses.
Did I mention the grounds? Garden after garden after garden. Stringed trios and ballerinas could be found amongst the 100 year old Wisteria and Azalea yards. Our kids were itty bitties and walked their little legs off. I was in Heaven. And that man was patient.
But it paid off. Because in the carriage houses and stables which at that time they were using as a winery and restaurant (I think one of my kids stomped grapes?), we had the most incredible pecan crusted baked chicken. The buttery toasted nuttiness of the pecans, the rich Dijon glaze… and oh, that sauce! Chicken never tasted or looked so delicious! And it came with a recipe card we could take home. Jackpot!
Over the years, this has remained one of our most favorite “special” dishes. As with anything, time has left its mark on this recipe. Ingredients have been moved around; processes have been tweaked for ease and convenience. I don’t even know where the recipe card is, but I do have the cutest little grape stained footprints on a certificate.
Southern Pecan Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- ½ C butter, melted
- ¼ C Dijon mustard
- 1 C coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp chopped Rosemary
- 1 C sour cream
- ⅓ C white wine
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- drippings from baked chicken
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Place chicken breasts in a 9x13 glass baking dish. Salt & pepper both sides of chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter and mustard until thick. Pour over chicken, covering completely. Top with pecans and Rosemary. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven. Place on platter, saving drippings.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, whisk together drippings, sour cream, wine and mustard. Stir until heated. Pour over chicken and serve!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- The Perfect Peppered Pork Loin
- Pineapple Mustard Glazed Ham
- Ultimate Mexican Pot Roast
- Holiday Prime Rib
- Bacon, Cranberries, Walnuts & Collards Stuffed Tenderloin
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***Pin This Southern Pecan Crusted Chicken***