Some days nothing beats a fresh spinach salad loaded with blueberries, green apples, almonds & feta. It just lightens things up! And topped with an easy homemade orange poppy seed dressing, this delightfully bright & refreshing salad is hard to beat for an easy lunch or dinner! Eat it as a side dish with your favorite soup or pork loin, or see my Tips & Notes below for yummy add-ins that make it a whole meal!
What You Need To Make Blueberry Spinach Salad & Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- baby spinach
- green apple
- slivered almonds
- feta cheese crumbles
- chicken, bacon & avocado (optional add-ins)
- orange juice
- lemon juice
- real mayonnaise
- white wine vinegar
- poppy seeds
- ginger, garlic, salt & white pepper
Salad. There’s nothing boring or skimpy about it. If it’s done right, that is. And you know, I’m not going to steer you wrong. This spinach salad is just bursting with flavor and goodness that’s guaranteed to make your day sing! Berries, apples, cheese, nuts… the clouds just might part, birds might chirp before you even take the first bite!
And talk about easy. There’s not a whole lot of chopping or prepping that goes with this one. A little washing, taking the stems off the spinach (if you want to- my mom says that’s always a yes), slice an apple and you’re good to go!
The dressing is just as simple. Drop a little mayo, oj, vinegar, lemon juice, poppy seeds and spices in a jar. Shake it up and pour. Or you can whisk it. Or pulse it in a blender. But why not keep this goodness low maintenance?
Just thinking about this bright little dressing makes my mouth water! A citrus kiss for all those iron rich greens and vitamin A loaded berries and apples. And what about those almonds & feta? The almonds add a nice, nutty crunch, while the feta is creamy smooth with just a hint of salty!
Isn’t it wonderful when good dishes come together this easily? It leaves plenty time for enjoying your meal and all those you plan to share it with!
Tips & Notes
- Our favorite add-ins are chicken, bacon & avocado. They make this spinach salad a real meal! See the Recipe Card Notes.
- The Orange Poppy Seed dressing thickens just a little when chilled in the refrigerator. So it’s best when made the day before. We also like to use this homemade Orange Poppy Seed Dressing on fruit salad!
- This recipe feeds 4 if served as an entree salad and 6-8 as a side salad.
- If you’re prepping ahead of time, add nuts, cheese & dressing right before serving.
- Perfect for potlucks and cookouts!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Berry Salad with Pork Loin & Cherry Balsamic Dressing
- Catalina Taco Salad
- Tuscan Tortellini Salad
- Layered Muffuletta Salad
- Tasty Lemon Chicken Salad
Blueberry Spinach Salad & Homemade Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- 5 oz baby spinach salad, washed and stems removed
- ½ pint blueberries, washed
- 1 medium green apple, thinly sliced or diced
- ¼ C feta cheese crumbles
- 2.25 oz slivered almonds
Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- ⅓ C mayonnaise
- ¼ C orange juice
- 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, mix spinach, blueberries, apples. Top with feta and almonds.
Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine all ingredients and whisk well. Serve with salad.
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!