There’s no need to hit up the restaurants. You can serve your family delicious Tex Mex any night of the week with these wonderfully simple sour cream chicken enchiladas. These easy hand rolled cheese & chicken stuffed enchiladas with mild green chiles and a dreamy sour cream sauce are a classic recipe can make any night a fiesta!
What You Need To Make Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- boneless skinless chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken from your grocer
- flour tortillas
- sour cream
- chicken broth
- yellow onion
- green chiles
- grated Monterrey Jack & cheddar cheeses
- minced garlic, salt & pepper
Enchiladas with a sour cream sauce have long been a favorite around this house. The rich and creamy white sauce is a nice change from the traditional red sauce that enchiladas are mostly commonly topped with, and it’s also easy to make from scratch.
Don’t let the idea of making your own sauce and rolling your own enchiladas scare you away from this recipe. Both are really a breeze to do! And once you’ve tasted homemade enchiladas, you’ll ask yourself why you ever bothered to eat them anywhere else!
Tips for Making the Best Homemade Enchiladas
- When rolling your enchiladas, it’s easier if you place your filling just a little to the side and not down the center of the tortilla. Fold the edge over the filling and then roll tightly and place seam down in baking dish.
- Just go slow and easy when rolling your enchiladas. Don’t worry about being perfect. Your enchiladas are going to be smothered in delicious sauce and melted cheese. No one will really see those perfect rolls anyway, so give yourself a break!
- Use an actual whisk to make your sauce. A whisk makes is so much easier to make a smooth and creamy sauce. Also, don’t be afraid if it takes a minute to make the ingredients smooth before moving on to the next step. Just keep whisking.
- Use a rotisserie chicken to cut down on prep time. You can also roll your enchiladas the day before and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook them!
Enchiladas are pretty versatile. They can be easily changed to include your favorites!
- Instead of chicken, try using shredded beef (carne asada) or pork (carnitas) in this recipe.
- Adding chopped cilantro or diced red bell pepper to your meat mixture adds another layer of delicious flavor.
- This recipe uses flour tortillas, but corn tortillas are the traditional choice for enchiladas. I use flour because they are easier to roll. Try your hand at using white corn tortillas for your enchiladas!
This recipe makes 12 enchiladas and is perfect for feeding a family. But feel free to cut the recipe in half to make less. Or make them all and freeze half of them for later! However you decide to make them, you’re going to love having delicious, authentic Tex Mex food whenever you get the craving!
What to serve with Tex Mex Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Fresh Salsa with Cilantro & Lime
- Tex Mex Guacamole
- Pineapple Cilantro Lime Spritzers
- Mexican Street Corn Foil Packets
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Simply Authentic Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled & shredded OR 3 C shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 C grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 oz canned diced green chiles, not drained
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic, generous
- 12 flour tortillas (size 6-7")
Sour Cream Sauce
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 C flour
- 2 C chicken broth
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 C grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Spray (1) 9x13 and (1) 8x8 pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter. Add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent. Mix in green chiles. Remove from heat. Add in shredded chicken and cheese. Mix well.
- Spoon about 1/4 C of chicken onto each tortilla. Tightly roll tortilla and place seam side down in baking dish. (Tortillas roll best when chicken is placed more to the side than down the center of the tortilla.) Set enchiladas aside. If there is any leftover filling, save it to add to the sauce.
Sour Cream Sauce
- In a skillet over low heat, melt 3 Tbsp butter. Add flour and use a whisk to blend all of the flour and butter together until thick and smooth. Pour in broth and whisk again until smooth. Whisk in sour cream until smooth and creamy. Add any leftover filling to sauce. Remove from heat and pour over enchiladas.
- Top enchiladas with cheddar cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce bubbling around the edges.
Other Mexican / Tex Mex Recipes You’ll Love
- Layered Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Ultimate Mexican Pot Roast
- Ultimate Short Cut Mexican Cornbread
- Overnight Green Chile Breakfast Strata
***Pin & Save This Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Recipe***