This easy chicken & spaghetti dish is loaded with creamy, cheesy goodness! Shredded chicken, Velveeta, sour cream, and Rotel tomatoes come together to make the perfect, simple family dish that everyone loves!
What You Need To Make Rotel Chicken & Spaghetti
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- diced tomatoes & green chiles
- Velveeta cheese
- sour cream
- chicken broth
- salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic
- parsley (optional)
Growing up, my son called this dish “Cheesy Noodles.” And he loved it with all his heart. He could eat his tiny, little 6 year old weight in it. And as it turns out “Cheesy Noodles” wasn’t a bad name at all, considering the warm, delicious cheese that seemed to wrap itself around each strand of spaghetti when all of the ingredients came together. It’s quite a glorious thing- all this cheesiness.
As my kids grew older, we added more chicken and kicked the spice up a notch. It became a weeknight staple that put a pep in everyone’s step after long days at work and school, piano and soccer practices, among a myriad of other things. It was comfort food worth coming home to.
As a matter of fact, it was exactly what I made this week when my son came home from college. He had a list full of friends to see, a hair cut to get and all manner of general running around to do. But you can be sure that he carved out quite a bit of time for sitting at the family table with a plate piled high of “Cheesy Noodles.” And there were plenty of smiles to go around.
Rotel Chicken & Spaghetti
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz spaghetti
- 16 oz Velveeta
- 2 10 oz cans mild diced tomatoes & green chiles
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- chopped parsley as garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add generous amount of salt and chicken breasts. Let boil until done (about 10-15 minutes). Drain, reserving 1/2 C of the chicken broth, and let chicken cool.
- While chicken is boiling and cooling, prepare pasta and sauce.
- Add pasta to a large pot of salted boiling water and cook just until al dente. Drain and rinse when finished. Set aside.
- To prepare sauce, pour undrained tomatoes & greens chiles into a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add broth. Cube the Velveeta cheese & add to tomatoes and broth. Stir until cheese melts. Do not let scorch. When cheese is melted, add sour cream. Stirring constantly again. Add salt, peppers and garlic. Stir again. Remove from heat.
- Shred cooled chicken and add to sauce. Return 1/2 of pasta to its pot. Pour sauce over pasta and toss in pot. Add rest of pasta and toss well again. Serve in pot or transfer to a large casserole dish to be served.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheesy Beef Noodle Casserole
- Easy White Ravioli Casserole- A Shortcut Lasagna
- Chicken Stuffed Crescent Rolls
- Meat & Potatoes Ranch Au Gratin
- Spaghetti Stuffed Garlic Bread
- Layered Beef Enchiladas
Making It Easy to Host & Serve
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
***Pin This Rotel Chicken & Spaghetti Recipe***