Give your regular hash brown casserole a mouthwatering southern makeover with this gloriously dreamy Pimento Cheese Hash Brown Casserole! Easy enough for weeknights but with enough star power to stand out on the holiday table, this cheesy side dish is the perfect marriage of cheese and potatoes.
There has never been a potato that didn’t love a little cheese. That’s why Pimento Cheese and hash brown casserole casserole go together hand and glove! The cheesy, tangy zip of good pimento cheese + easy to prepare frozen hash browns were absolutely made for one another.
Related Recipes: The Jalapeno Pimento Cheese, Favorite Southern Pimento Cheese Ball, Grilled Pimento Cheese Apple Bacon Sandwiches
You know it has to be good when two classics come together! Pimento cheese with just hint of jalapeno, green onions, sour cream and chicken broth make the creamy base that transform shredded hash browns into an incredible comfort food side dish that’s loaded with savory flavor and loads creamy goodness!
Believe me when I say you’ve never had a potato casserole like this before. Get ready to make this WOW dish on repeat!
Pimento Cheese Hash Brown Casserole Ingredients
- frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- jalapeno pimento cheese (or regular pimento cheese)- go store bought for a short cut or make your own just the way you like it!
- sour cream
- chicken broth
- green onions
- salt & pepper
- extra grated cheddar cheese
How to Make Pimento Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
Mix. In a large mixing bowl, toss frozen shredded potatoes in melted butter. Add rest of ingredients, use a little elbow grease and mix well.
Pour. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Top with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, if you want a nice cheesy topping; we are kind of partial to that here at The Cottage! The more cheese, the better!
Bake. Bake for just 35 minutes or until edges are beginning to brown and are bubbly. Remove your cheesy masterpiece from the oven and let sit 5 minutes. Throw on some cut chives for color, if you like, and serve it up!
Slow Cooker Instructions
Mix and pour into a 5-6 quart slow cooker that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Cook on high for 2- 2 1/2 hours or cook on low for 4 hours.
Making Ahead & Freezing Hash Brown Casserole
Potato Casseroles are perfect for making ahead. Simply mix your ingredients and pour into a greased 9×13. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 2-3 days before cooking.
To freeze this casserole before baking it, mix and put into a greased 9×13. Cover tightly and put in the freezer for 2-3 months. Allow to defrost overnight in the fridge, then bake as directed.
To freeze any leftovers, simply put in a freezer proof dish, cover tightly. They will stay yummy for 2-3 months. To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator and microwave or heat in a 350 oven until warm.
What To Serve with Pimento Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
This super cheesy Pimento Cheese Hash Brown Casserole is crazy good with just about anything. Serve it with:
- Pecan Crusted Ham for the holidays,
- Juicy Lucy Broiler Burgers or Peppered Pork Loin on weeknights,
- Sausage Egg Breakfast Bundles and Fruit Salad for brunch
- Spicy Italian Crescent Ring on game days
- Add leftover ham or chicken for a complete meal
Other Cheesy Side Dish Recipes
- Easy Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole (no canned soup)
- Ultimate Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese
- Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole (no canned soup)
- Baked Gouda Cheese Grits
- Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes
- Creamy Broccoli Mac & Cheese
Pimento Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
- 20 ounces frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1.5 – 2 cups jalapeno pimento cheese, or the entire yield of the linked recipe
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3-4 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, optional topping
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss shredded potatoes in melted butter. Add rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Top with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until edges are beginning to brown and are bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Gloriously dreamy!! Who talks that way about a casserole!!! Your ability to describe food makes me want to try every recipe you post! And you have not let me down yet!! So creative in the kitchen!! You’re the best!!!
Well, You just have to when it tastes this good! Ha!! You have to try this recipe; it is soooooo delicious! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You’ve made my day. <3
Delicious and easy!! Thank you