Loaded with melted cheese, sour cream and simple seasonings, this deliciously creamy, cheesy shredded hashbrown casserole is the perfect potato side dish for breakfast, holidays, potlucks, even regular weeknight dinners! And it’s a hit you’ll never feel bad about serving over and over again since you’ve made it’s yummy goodness without using any canned soup.
What You Need to Make Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- frozen shredded hashbrowns
- sour cream
- chicken broth
- cheddar cheese
- onion powder
- cracked black pepper
- fresh parsley or chives- optional
It’s hard to say no to a good potato recipe. There’s just something about a well turned out spud that promises a delicious, comforting dish that’s almost impossible to turn down. Especially if there’s cheese involved. Warm, melted, savory cheese. Thank goodness for easy recipes like this cheesy hashbrown casserole that take that heaven-made potatoes & cheese match and turn it into a convenient dish fit to feed a crowd no matter the occasion!
At my house, hashbrown casserole is served mostly as a simple weeknight side dish, playing co star to dishes like BBQ Boneless Chicken Thighs or Pineapple Mustard Glazed Ham. But it also makes regular appearances at tailgates, potlucks, cookouts, holiday dinners and brunches. It’s endless appeal is absolutely because it’s just that darn good.
But it’s also because it’s so easy to make! One mixing bowl and just a few simple ingredients you always have on hand are all it takes to put these cheesy potatoes on your table at any time.
A lot of hashbrown casserole recipes use canned cream of chicken or mushroom soup to up the ante on taste. And while those work in a pinch, they aren’t the only (or the best) way to achieve great flavor. As a matter of fact, leaving out “mystery ingredients” creates a deliciously creamy, savory difference everyone will rave about. Just a little je ne sais quois to make your recipe standout… But you’ll know what it is, and you’ll love serving it every time!
And, of course, we’ll have to talk versatility too. While we’ve mentioned brunch, dinner, holidays and such, we haven’t talked about this recipe’s uncanny ability to move from side dish to main dish with just a few simple add-ins. Talk about an amazing family dinner in a snap!
To create this dish as a main course, consider adding
- sliced smoked sausage, diced onions and bell peppers
- seasoned ground beef, mushrooms and diced onions
- chopped ham and green chiles
- chicken and broccoli
For a complete breakfast, add these to your Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- ground breakfast sausage
- chopped ham
- crumbled bacon
This awesome make-ahead dish also freezes well before or after cooking. Just how many ways can this dish be a winner? 100 ways and counting!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Easy, Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- 32 oz shredded hashbrown potatoes, thawed
- 2 1/4 C grated cheddar cheese
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 C chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 Tbsp flour
- chopped parsley or chives for color, if desired
- Preheat over to 350° Fahrenheit. Spray 9x13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a glass bowl, toss 2 C of the cheese and all of the potatoes together. Evenly fill 9 x13 dish with cheese & potatoes.
- Pour melted butter over the top of the cheese & potatoes.
- In same glass bowl used for the cheese & potatoes, whisk together sour cream, broth, onion powder, salt & pepper. Heat in microwave for 2 minutes. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour until smooth. Pour sour cream mixture evenly over potatoes and cheese.
- Top with remaining 1/4 C grated cheddar and additional black pepper.
- Bake until cheese is melted and edges of casserole is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with parsley or chives, if desired.
Other Casserole Recipes You’ll Love
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Cheesy Beef Noodle Casserole
Brunch Casserole Recipes for the win
- Strawberry French Toast Casserole
- Cheesy Farmhouse Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- Banana French Toast Casserole with Frosted Corn Flakes