Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is the best comfort food side dish! Fluffy rice and fresh broccoli are wrapped in an easy homemade sauce that gets it creaminess from cream cheese, evaporated milk and sharp cheddar instead of the usual canned soup.
Why chop your own broccoli and make your own sauce? It’s easy, delicious and puts you in control of your ingredients! Don’t let making your own sauce scare you off. It’s so simple and melt-in-your-mouth creamy that once you’ve done it, you’ll never go back to the canned stuff again!
Related Recipe: Creamy Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese
What To Eat With Broccoli Cheese & Rice Casserole
Broccoli Cheese & Rice is delicious with just about anything! Heavenly with holiday favorites like Creole Roasted Turkey or Pineapple Mustard Glazed Ham, it also begs to be served with Perfect Skillet Steak, Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin or Tender Roasted Buttermilk Chicken for a family favorite meal any night of the week!
Ingredients for Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole From Scratch
- fresh broccoli florets or broccoli crowns– I use fresh broccoli so that I can control its size and how it is cooked. My family prefers less stalk and smaller pieces of broccoli that are still crisp tender. If you have picky eaters, this is definitely the way to go!
- white rice
- yellow onion
- button or baby Portobello mushrooms
- minced garlic
- evaporated milk
- salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes
- cream cheese
- grated sharp cheddar
Recipe Variations & Add Ins
- For extra veggies, add ½ cup diced celery or 1 cup chopped cauliflower.
- To make it a meal, add in 2 cups of shredded chicken.
- For a crunchy topping, top with panko bread crumbs and drizzle butter before baking.
How to Make Broccoli Rice Casserole with No Soup
Prep Rice & Broccoli. Cook rice according to instructions (I always use instant rice) and chop broccoli. Boil broccoli for 2-3 minutes. Drain and mix with rice in a large mixing bowl.
Make Sauce. In a large skillet, melt butter and cook onions, mushrooms and garlic. Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat mushrooms and onions. Whisk in milk, seasonings and cheeses. Stirring until melted and creamy.
Assemble Casserole. Pour sauce over broccoli and rice in mixing bowl and mix well. Add extra milk if needed to keep mixture creamy. Spoon cheesy broccoli and rice into casserole dish and bake!
How to Make it Ahead
This side dish casserole is ideal for making ahead of time, which also makes it a perfect choice for busy times like holidays or family dinners. Simply store the unbaked casserole tightly covered in the fridge for 2-3 days before your big meal!
How to Freeze Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
Broccoli Cheese & Rice Casserole can also be frozen before baking! Cover tightly in a freezer proof container and store the unbaked casserole for up to 3 months. To thaw, allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight before baking according instructions. Bake time might take a little longer since the ingredients will be cold.
Other Side Dish Casseroles You’ll Love
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole without Canned Soup
- Southern Cornbread Pudding
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- Baked Gouda Cheese Grits
- Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes
More Rice Recipes
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- Easy Green Chile Rice
- Beef & Mushroom Rice
- Easy Louisiana Sausage Jambalaya
- Chicken & Wild Rice Skillet Casserole
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole (no canned soup)
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli crowns or florets
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ¾ cup button or baby Portobella mushrooms, chopped
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- (2) 12 ounce cans evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature, cubed
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Spray 9×13 casserole dish with non stick spray.
- Prepare 2 cups uncooked rice according to instructions.
- While rice is cooking, chop broccoli. Place in saucepan, cover with salted water or chicken broth and boil for 2-3 minutes until bright green and crisp tender. Drain in colander in sink. In a large mixing bowl, mix rice and broccoli together and set aside.
- In a large skillet on the stove top, melt butter over medium heat. Add diced onion, chopped mushrooms and minced garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and soft. Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat the onions and mushrooms. Continue to stir as flour cooks for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in 12 ounces (1 can) of evaporated milk. Continue to whisk until there are no lumps. Stir in salt and peppers. Add cream cheese. Stir until melted. Stir in 1 C shredded cheddar, continuing to stir until melted. Add milk as needed from second can if sauce becomes too thick. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce into mixing bowl with rice and broccoli. Stir all ingredients together. Again, add milk as needed from second can to loosen up mixture. Mixture should not be stodgy, but creamy and and somewhat thin. Spoon mixture into prepared 9×13 dish. Top with rest of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are bubbly.