This post contains affiliate links.
Southern Green Beans and New Potatoes is a simple, hearty side dish recipe that delivers savory, fork tender vegetables with loads of homey, southern flavor! Fresh green beans, baby red potatoes, chicken broth, bacon and a little butter and garlic are all you need for this classic recipe that goes with any meal!
This little vegetable side dish is sure to have you feeling a bit nostalgic. As your kitchen fills with all the comforting aromas of bacon and cooking beans, you’ll be reminded of family visits, favorite aunts and grandmothers and those who cooked all day in anticipation of your arrival.
But hold tight, these aren’t all day beans. No, these are crisp tender green beans surrounded by salty, smoky bacon and soft, pillowy potatoes, cooked on your stove and ready to be devoured in just about 30 minutes!
What To Serve with Green Beans & New Potatoes
This all-in-one side dish makes meal planning easy. Since Green Beans and New Potatoes serve up both the veggie and the starch, it’s a one and done kind of deal. No second side dish is really necessary for a well-rounded weeknight meal, making room for something special, like Ambrosia Fruit Salad or Apple Cheese Celery Salad on your plate!
Ingredients for Southern Green Beans & New Potatoes
- fresh green beans
- baby red, or new, potatoes
- thick sliced bacon
- bacon drippings
- chicken broth
- minced garlic
- salt & coarse ground black pepper
How To Make Green Beans & Potatoes with Bacon
Prep Potatoes. Wash & slice baby new potatoes in half to prep for a quick boil. Place potatoes in a large boiler with 2 cups chicken broth. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and give them room to boil. Boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain in colander. Add a little butter and set potatoes aside.
Make Bacon. While the potatoes are boiling, cook bacon in the bottom of a Dutch oven or large skillet (with a lid for later). Rough chop the bacon, and pour off all but approximately 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings from the skillet and place the skillet back on medium high heat.
Cook Green Beans. Add the 2 remaining cups of chicken broth and garlic to the drippings in the skillet. Stir to deglaze the skillet. Then add your washed and trimmed beans, salt and pepper. Stir, then cover with a lid and let boil gently until beans are bright and crisp tender, about 10 minutes.
Toss it Together. Add potatoes and bacon and toss it all together until most of the broth and drippings are absorbed. Pour potatoes and green beans out onto a platter or into a serving dish and enjoy!
More Vegetable Side Dishes You’ll Love
- Garlic Honey Glazed Carrots
- Southern Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas & Ham
- Beefy Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Southern Zucchini Squash Casserole
- Parmesan Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Asparagus
- Southern Corn Pudding
If You Make This Recipe, I Can’t Wait To Hear All About It!
Leave A Comment & Rating Below Or Snap A Photo To Share.
Southern Green Beans & New Potatoes with Bacon
- 24 ounces baby new potatoes (or baby red potatoes)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5-6 pieces thick sliced bacon
- 12-16 ounces fresh green beans, washed with ends removed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Slice baby new potatoes in half. Place in a large boiler with 2 cups chicken broth. Add enough water to cover potatoes. Place over high-medium high stove top heat to boil. Boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain in colander. Add butter, let melt, gently toss to cover potatoes and set potatoes aside.
- While potatoes are boiling, cook bacon in bottom of Dutch oven or large skillet. When crisp, remove bacon from skillet to a paper towel to remove excess drippings. Rough chop bacon. Pour off all but approximately 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings and place skillet back on medium high heat.
- Add the 2 remaining cups of chicken broth and garlic to the drippings in the skillet. Stir to loosen any "bits" stuck to the skillet. Add washed and trimmed beans, salt and pepper. Stir to cover beans in broth and mix in seasonings. Cover with a lid and let boil lightly until beans are bright and crisp tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add boiled potatoes to beans and gently toss to coat potatoes with broth and seasonings. The potatoes will absorb most of the broth. Remove from heat. Add bacon and gently toss again. Turn the green beans, potatoes and bacon out into a serving dish or platter. Serve immediately.