Enjoy a delicious veggie side dish with this Southern Zucchini Squash Casserole! Tasty zucchini and yellow squash bake up savory and crisp tender in an easy cream sauce made from mayo, chicken broth, garlic and spices. Topped with the crunch of panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, this baked casserole has what it takes to grace any table from holidays to cookouts!
What You Need To Make Southern Zucchini Squash Casserole
- yellow squash
- zucchini squash
- real mayonnaise
- chicken broth
- lemon juice
- minced garlic
- grated Parmesan cheese
- panko bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
Squash casserole is an unequivocal Southern classic. Always in high demand any time families gather, there’s no denying the appeal of this simple side dish. But don’t let simple fool you. Squash has lots to offer- subtle buttery flavor, tender texture, gorgeous color. It’s definitely the stuff traditions are made of.
And this easy to prepare version definitely lives up to the legacy with its creamy sauce and golden topping. Even those who don’t love veggies are going to relish every bite. Who knew vegetables could taste so good?
A snap to throw together this baked squash recipe also comes with plenty of options for making it ahead, freezing it for later, even a few suggestions for a little variety now and then. When it comes to side dishes, you’ll be hard pressed to find something that will compete!
Making Zucchini Squash Casserole Ahead of Time
- This recipe is perfect for preparing ahead of time. Simply slice the squash, toss in the sauce and arrange in a dish before covering and placing in the fridge for at least a day prior to cooking. The topping can even be made in advance and stored. Just don’t add it to the dish until right before baking.
Freezing Zucchini Squash Casserole
- To freeze this side dish before baking it, simply follow the instructions above. Prepare everything but the topping, cover tightly and store. This dish should be good for at least a month until you are ready to bake it. Just make sure you thaw it out before putting it in the oven.
Zucchini Squash Casserole Substitutions and Add Ins
- If you’re cutting down on bread, feel free to omit the panko bread crumbs from this recipe. It makes for a delicious low carb veggie option.
- Top this dish with crispy fried onion strips instead of the bread crumb topping. Talk about a flavor boost!
- Speaking of flavor boosts, 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes in the topping or just a sprinkle on top before serving adds to the flavor and inviting color of this dish.
- Layer in onions or sliced tomatoes for more side dish variety.
- To make this a main dish, add onion, sliced tomatoes and smoked sausage. Pair it with a side of rice and you have a meal that’s hard to beat.
What to Serve with Zucchinni Squash Casserole
- Crock Pot BBQ Beef Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas & Ham
- Tomato Alredo Baked Ziti
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- Easy Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
More Zucchini & Squash Recipes You’ll Love
- Cornbread & Squash Dressing
- Grilled Garden Veggies & Sausage Foil Packets
- Carrot Zucchini Muffins with Walnuts
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Southern Squash Casserole
- 2 C sliced yellow squash, (about 2 small squash)
- 2 C sliced zucchini squash, (about 2 small squash)
- 1/2 C mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp chicken broth
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp course ground black pepper
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 C panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Generously butter 2 qt. baking dish or small cast iron skillet.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together mayonnaise, broth, lemon juice, salt, pepper & garlic. Set aside.
- Slice both squashes in approximately 1/4 inch slices for crisp tender baking. Place in a large mixing bowl. Pour mayo/broth mixture over squash and toss until well coated. Arrange (or just spoon) coated squash in buttered baking dish. Pour any leftover sauce over top of squash.
- Using a fork, mix together panko, Parmesan and Italian seasoning in a small bowl to make topping. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the squash (you may or may not use it all). Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil. Change oven setting to broil. Brown topping for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
What a fantastic recipe for the tons of squash I have this year. Cooked it for my wife and parents tonight, huge hit! Thank you for sharing.
Hi, Mehndi! You are so very welcome! So delish with garden fresh squash. I am just tickled that everyone liked it so much! Thank you so much; this made my day!