Beefy Roasted Cabbage Steaks are tender, roasted slices of cabbage with tempting crispy, caramelized edges and a subtle beefy flavor. They make for a tantalizingly savory vegetable side dish, perfect for almost any meal!
Cabbage is a humble little thing. And bless its heart, it doesn’t hardly ever get to be anyone’s favorite vegetable… until now. These easy oven roasted cabbage steaks are loaded with rich, savory, beefy flavor! Tender leaves, sweet centers and, oh, those crisp, caramelized edges!
I’ll be honest. It’s all about the caramelized edges for me. They are crisp, crunchy little bites that are almost like chips and are 100% a delectable little delicacy . I have been known to take the pan out of the oven, eat all the extra, crispy browned edges and put the pan back in the oven to make more crispy edges. Yes, guilty.
But stop eating the edges for a moment and top your cabbage steaks with Parmesan cheese, chopped bacon, even toasted pecans… and all of the sudden, it turns out that our humble little cabbage is something more. A whole lot more. We’re talking favorite vegetable contender more!
Ingredients for Beefy Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- small head of cabbage (Small heads of cabbage tend to more tender and less bitter.)
- olive oil
- beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- minced garlic
- lemon juice
- salt & coarse ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese
How to Make Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Cut the Cabbage Steaks. Use a cutting board and sharp knife, to remove just the stem from the bottom of the cabbage. Stand cabbage up on now flat bottom and slice it into 1/2 inch thick discs. Cut any of the large discs in half (into semi circles). Arrange discs onto sprayed baking sheet.
Season the Steaks. In a measuring cup, whisk together olive oil, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt & pepper. Generously brush oil mixture onto both sides of cabbage discs. It’s ok if the discs fall apart a little bit. It creates more edges to crisp & caramelize! Sprinkle top side generously with salt and coarse pepper.
Bake. Pop in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are caramelized. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese and serve!
Tips for Making The Best Cabbage Steaks
Cut the steaks thin. Cutting the cabbage into thin discs makes sure they cook tender all the way through, crisp up more easily and have a good cabbage to seasoning ratio!
Add a little lemon or sugar. Sometimes cabbage can be a little bitter. The lemon juice helps cut that bitterness, so don’t leave it out of the oil/seasoning mixture. To make double sure the cabbage is not bitter, try a very light sprinkle of brown sugar across each steak. It’s SO GOOD! It adds an extra depth of flavor… and some extra opportunities for caramelization!
Use a spatula. It’s okay if the cabbage discs fall apart a little bit when you are prepping them, but you don’t want them to fall apart when you’re serving them. Use a nice, wide spatula to remove the steaks from the pan to keep them together.
What to Serve with Beefy Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Peppercorn Pork Loin
- Beef & Mushroom Rice
- Pecan Crusted Ham
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
Choose a main dish from above and add Fluffy Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas to make it a complete meal or just serve it with some Deep South Hoppin’ John for a well-rounded southern meal! Pair it with Classic 3 Cheese Manicotti for some Italian flair.
If You Make This Recipe, I Can’t Wait To Hear About It!
Leave A Comment & Rating Below Or Snap A Photo To Share.
- 1 small head of cabbage, washed with outer leaves removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt, pepper, shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
- Using a cutting board and sharp knife, remove the stem from the bottom of the cabbage. Stand cabbage up on now flat bottom and slice cabbage into 1/2 inch thick discs. Cut large discs in half (into semi circles). Arrange discs onto sprayed baking sheet.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together olive oil, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt & pepper. Brush oil mixture onto both sides of cabbage slices. Sprinkle top side generously with salt and coarse pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are caramelized. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese and serve!