If you love tacos as much as I do, get ready to make your regular ol’ taco Tuesday sing with these wonderfully delicious, flavor packed Taco Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes. A little sweet, a lot of savory and loaded with all the things you love about your favorite taco, these stuffed potatoes pack a true flavor punch. Dinner doesn’t get any better!
Wow. Let’s talk tacos. If you’ve never had one stuffed in a sweet potato, you’ve been missing out! These oven baked beauties hit all the right notes for a real fiesta. With their salt and peppered skins, easy homemade taco seasoning and hearty ground beef, these taco stuffed potatoes deliver mouthful after mouthful of incredible flavor!
And we haven’t even talk about their eye popping color, creamy, delicious texture and crisp crunch of a few well-placed veggie toppings. If this simple recipe isn’t already in your regular line up, it needs to get there and quick!
What You Need To Make Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for Dinner
- whole sweet potatoes
- ground beef (or turkey)
- yellow onion, green onion
- shredded cheddar cheese
- jalapeno peppers
- homemade taco seasoning (see recipe card below)
When I started making these taco stuffed sweet potatoes for The Engineer and the kids years ago, none of us had any idea that this was “healthy” food. We just knew it was really, really good food. So good in fact, we created Loaded BBQ Sweet Potato Skins, Stuffed Party Potatoes, Goat Cheese Cranberry Pecan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes also!
Benefits of Eating Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are chock full of good stuff like Vitamins A & C.
- They are also a good source of fiber.
- Need some heart healthy potassium? Yep, these orange beauties have you covered there too.
- Sweet potatoes also have their fair share of antioxidants & anti-inflammatory properties.
- Top them with lean ground beef or ground turkey and you’ve got a winner of a good-for-you dish!
Delicious Toppings to Add
- cherry tomatoes
- cheddar cheese
- green onion
But you can also add black beans and corn for an even more satisfying dish!
What to serve with Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This is a meal within itself. But if you’d like to serve something with these tacos, try a few of these.
- Fresh Salsa with Cilantro & Lime
- Tex Mex Guacamole
- Green Chile Rice
- Mexican Street Corn Foil Packets
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- olive oil, salt, coarse ground pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼-1/2 tsp salt
- grated cheddar cheese
- diced cherry tomatoes
- diced avocado
- sour cream
- chopped green onion
- chopped cilantro
- diced fresh jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Wash each sweet potato. Prick all over with a fork. Rub each sweet potato with a little olive oil, salt and coarse ground pepper. Wrap each potato in foil. Place in preheated oven and back for 50 minutes- 1 hour or until potatoes are soft when a fork is inserted. Remove from foil when ready to serve.
- While potatoes are baking prepare your toppings.
- Place 1 lb lean ground beef in skillet over medium stove top heat. Add diced yellow onion and brown meat. Drain any excess fat using a colander. Return ground beef to skillet. Turn heat down to low. Add all ingredients for homemade taco seasoning with ¾ C water. Stir and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Using a knife, split tops open. Squeeze potatoes from both ends to create a cavity. Fill potatoes with your toppings.
Need More Potato Dish Ideas?
- Horseradish Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese & Garlic
- Baked Cheesy Smashed Potato Bites
- Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potato Wedges
- Cheesy BBQ Bacon Potato Foil Packets
- Creamy Dill Potato Salad
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!