There are so many ways to enjoy sweet potatoes in the south other than just in a casserole or candied in brown sugar syrup. Why, we’re never limited to just two options of anything around here! We southerners are connoisseurs of rich seasonal flavors that can be whipped together and enjoyed any ol’ way we please. And that’s certainly the case for these Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! Filled to the brim with rich goat cheese, bacon, pecans, cranberries and spinach, these beauties can serve as a gorgeous side dish for steaks, pork tenderloin or chops or just be the whole meal by themselves. Don’t count these out for the holidays either! Packed with all the right flavors, they make fabulous additions to any holiday spread.
What You Need To Make Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Goat Cheese
- Black pepper
Of course a stuffed sweet potato dish is going to be all about the stuffing, or filling, but you’ve got to start with a baked sweet potato (or 4), right? Sweet potatoes are great wrapped in foil and baked in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour or an hour and a half. And I am sure there are plenty of ways to do them in the crock pot or Instant Pot. But to be honest, I usually just microwave mine. I really don’t microwave much of anything at all. Ever. I might melt butter, chocolate, boil water… I don’t even pop popcorn in there. But for baking potatoes? The microwave is a great option! Just cut a slit in the top, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 5 minutes cycles until the potatoes are fork tender.
While the potatoes are nuking, take a few minutes and prepare that yummy filling. I start by cooking thick sliced bacon in a skillet. The skillet works best for this recipe because it’s the same skillet I use to wilt the spinach in. Just a little of that bacon grease and drippings left in the skillet wilts the spinach within minutes, not mention infuses it with all kinds of rich flavor.
With the bacon, spinach and potatoes cooked, there’s nothing left to do other than mix up all that goat cheese, butter, cranberries, pecans, herbs and spices. Throw in the bacon and spinach, and you’re golden! It’s time to stuff those potatoes full, and I do mean full, of this yumminess. This creamy stuffing compliments the subtle natural sweetness of the potato perfectly. And as the cheese and butter begins to melt down in that potato, you will hardly be able to wait to dive in and enjoy some of the best flavors of the season.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes baked
- 2-3 C baby spinach washed, stems removed, and rough chopped
- ½ C butter room temperature
- ½ C goat cheese crumbles room temperature
- 4-5 thick cut slices bacon rough chopped
- ⅓ C dried cranberries
- ⅓ C chopped pecans
- 1 ½ tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 ½ tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook bacon in large skillet. When crisp, remove from pan. Pour off bacon grease, leaving 1 tablespoon grease and meat drippings.
- Turn heat to low. Add spinach to pan with bacon grease. Stir, letting cook just until wilted.
- When wilted, remove spinach and place on paper towels. Pat to remove extra bacon grease. Set aside.
- When cooled, rough chop bacon.
- In a medium bowl, mix together butter and goat cheese until creamy.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients, including the bacon and spinach until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Stuff hot baked sweet potatoes with your filling and enjoy!
Little Pretties You Might Need To Serve These Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
***Pin This Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe Here!***