What could be better than crispy, salty potato skins loaded down with all your favorite toppings? Crispy, salty potato skins made from sweet potatoes! That’s right. For all my sweet and salty lovers out there, this is game day or party appetizer that you’re not going to be able to get enough of- seasoned skins, loaded with fluffy, cheesy sweet potatoes and topped with pulled pork & sour cream. Appetizer Heaven!
What You Need To Make Loaded BBQ Potato Skins
- sweet potatoes
- shredded cheese
- pulled pork, (you can make your own or grab some at your favorite BBQ joint)
- sour cream
- green onions
- BBQ Sauce
- olive oil, salt & pepper
One thing I love about fall and winter are all the reasons we seem to have for enjoying finger foods, snacks, heavy hor d’oeuvres, whatever you want to call them! We get together and have them while watching all our favorite ballgames, card nights, movie nights and sometimes just as a fun dinner. Then the holiday season starts with even more finger food opportunities! My kind of eating, these snacky get togethers!
I love having these stuffed sweet potato skins at our snack events. The whipped potato filling is made light and airy with a little butter and cream and a little sharp cheddar mixed right in. Then it’s all baked up in perfect skins that have been crisped beforehand with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Last but not least are the toppings. Loads of pulled pork, a dollop of sour cream, a touch of BBQ sauce and green onions set these potato skins off! From skin to garnish, this is one appetizer that is loaded with flavor!
It’s hard to beat a really good app. And with one this good, why bother with anything else? Delightful enough for some really good party food, but tasty enough to make a meal… isn’t that what good snacking is all about?
Loaded BBQ Sweet Potato Skins
- Microwave oven
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Wash sweet potatoes. Pierce the skin several times. Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from microwave and let cool just enough so that you can hold the potatoes.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh of the potato into a mixing bowl, leaving the thinnest layer of flesh around the skin.
- Rub skins with olive oil. Place on baking sheet face down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the skins are baking, make the filling. Mash the sweet potatoes in the mixing bowl with a fork. Add butter and 1/2 & 1/2. Beat until light and fluffy. Add in cheese. Mix well.
- When skins are done, remove from oven and turn them over on the baking sheet. Fill with sweet potato filling and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with pulled pork, sour cream and green onion. Drizzle with BBQ sauce and serve.
Do I have to use the microwave oven to bake my potatoes?
- Not at all! The recipe lists the microwave instructions to cut down on cooking time. If you would rather bake your potatoes in the oven, bake them @ 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-50 minutes. You can also bake them in the crock pot, or slow cooker, while you’re at work or doing other things! 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. Then your potatoes will be ready to go when you are.
Can I make these ahead of time for my party?
- You most certainly can bake your potatoes and prepare the filling the day before. Just refrigerate your filling and skins. It might take a minute or two longer in the oven when you crisp your skins and when baking the final product since your ingredients will be cold.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Stuffed Party Potatoes
- BBQ Sheet Pan Nachos
- Hawaiian Popper Crescent Rolls
- Loaded Buffalo Chicken Bites
- Ultimate Creamy Chicken Dip
- Taco Hand Pies
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***Pin These Loaded BBQ Sweet Potato Skins***