Let’s talk gorgeous, easy delicious food that’s perfect for parties, showers, potlucks or any get together! Dreamy cream cheese, ripe strawberries, crisp spinach and salty smoked turkey or ham all piled high on buttery croissants make a delectable little picnic sandwiches that taste even better than they look!
Is that even possible? Oh yes, it is! There is just something about these scrumptious little delicacies that make them absolutely irresisible. The smooth creaminess of the lightly sweetened cream cheese and fresh strawberries against a backdrop of flaky, buttery croissants and ham is downright cravable.
My mom use to serve these strawberry cream cheese sandwiches in a cute little tea house she ran down in Texas. A big favorite there, they were made with thick slices of homemade bread and always with smoked turkey. We’ve changed them a bit over time to make them easier, more accessible (and dare I say it… even tastier!).
Changes or no, they’re always met with delight and surprise. And always the first thing to go at any gathering… And the first thing that’s missed afterwards!
What You Need To Make Strawberry Cream Cheese Sandwiches
- croissants- Buttery baked croissants are usually available in your local grocery store’s deli section
- strawberries- Berries are at their sweetest and have their best color when they are in season. That’s why I recommend making this sandwich in the spring.
- shaved or sliced ham or turkey- This recipe is perfect for enjoying leftover Easter ham.
- cream cheese- Creamy, smooth and so dreamy, cream cheese is absolutely what makes this sandwich so incredibly good!
- sugar or sweetener– As the berries get sweeter, you won’t need as much sweetener to marry the strawberries and the cheese.
- Baby spinach, washed with stems removed- Everybody knows that spinach and strawberries are perfect partners. A gorgeous bit of green to and bite of crisp to balance the sandwich.
How To Make Strawberry Cream Cheese Ham Sandwiches
Prep. Set out the cream cheese to soften while you prep your bread and strawberries. Cut croissants open with a bread knife and slice your strawberries. I like lots of strawberries, so I usually slice a whole pint so I have plenty to use. If I don’t use them all, that’s ok. We’ll eat them anyway!
When the cream cheese is soft, mix it thoroughly with the sugar to create a creamy spread. (Try to resist dipping a strawberry or two. But if you just can’t resist, there should be enough cream cheese for a little taste or two!)
Assembly. Next, take that lovely cream cheese mixture and spread a generous amount on both sides of the croissant. Then, layer on the strawberries, ham and spinach. Last, top with top half of croissant!
Sometimes, I make these assembly line style, laying out all of the croissants, then adding the cream cheese to all, then strawberries to all, and so on until all of the layers have been put on. This is an especially handy method if you have to make a lot.
What To Serve With Strawberry Cream Cheese Sandwiches
Other Strawberry Recipes You’ll Love
- Chilled Summer Sweet Strawberry Bisque
- Strawberry Avocado Salsa
- Layered Strawberry Jello Salad
- Strawberry French Toast Casserole
- Loaded Strawberry Jam Brownies
- Farmstyle Buttermilk Strawberry Muffins
Strawberry Cream Cheese Sandwiches
- 4-5 large croissants
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 lb. shaved or sliced ham
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. sugar or sweetener
- Baby spinach washed with stems removed
- Set out the cream cheese to soften.
- Use a bread knife to cut open the croissants.
- Slice strawberries.
- When the cream cheese is soft, mix it thoroughly with the sugar to create a creamy spread.
- Spread a generous amount of cream cheese on both halves of the croissant.
- Layer on the strawberries, ham, and then some leaves of spinach. Place the top on the sandwich.
First Published April 2015