There’s nothing better than a big, fluffy muffin packed with fresh fruit for a leisurely weekend breakfast or brunch. And these Farmstyle Buttermilk Strawberry Muffins are guaranteed to deliver on all counts! Plump red strawberries, rich buttermilk and just the right amount of “home” will have you convinced these muffins are fresh from the farm.
What You Need to Make Buttermilk Strawberry Muffins
- Fresh strawberries
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Lemon juice
When the weather starts getting warm, there’s nothing better than a little fresh fruit to remind you how bright and wonderful the world is. But baking with fresh fruit can be tricky. It brings extra moisture to the recipe and requires cakes and breads to have a little extra boost to rise. And if you’re not careful, it can all sink to the bottom of what you’re baking.
So, if it’s so much trouble, why in the world would you want to bother to use it all? Those fabulous, baked up, golden brown, gorgeous results that’s why! Plain and simple. Fresh fruit is vibrant, bursting with full flavors and a texture that there’s just no substitute for. And with a few simple workarounds, baking with fresh fruit can be a snap!
Thankfully, this recipe takes all that yummy freshness into account. The batter is thick and heavy like a dough, which offsets the extra moisture and keeps the fruit from sinking. There’s just the right amount of baking powder and soda to get that perfect rise (not too much though… which, ahem, might have happened in my oven, leaving a mess that looked a little too much like a 6th grade science class volcano… but that’s another story).
What you do get is perfectly sweetened, golden and fluffy, fresh strawberry muffins that have the look and taste of a rustic farmhouse treat made from scratch and straight from your oven. What a way to welcome the day with your family and friends!
Farmstyle Buttermilk Strawberry Muffins
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 2 C fresh strawberries, quarter and sliced
- 1 C sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously butter muffin tin. (Recipe makes 9 muffins.)
- Quarter and slice strawberries and place in a medium bowl. Cover with 3 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/8 tsp cinnamon. Toss and set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Mix on low just until incorporated.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together four and all dry ingredients.
- With mixer on low, alternately add a little flour mixture and then buttermilk to creamed butter and sugar until all ingredients are incorporated. Batter will be thick like a dough.
- Strain strawberries. In muffin tin, spoon 1 Tbsp of muffin dough into bottom of tin. Add one spoon of strawberries (4-5 slices). Press gently into dough. Add enough dough to cover top of strawberries without overfilling cup. Top with 4-5 more strawberry slices. Press gently into dough again.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Tops should bloom out and slightly spread. Let muffins cool in tin for 5 minutes before removing.
Looking for More Strawberry Recipes? Try These Favorites!
Or Maybe It’s Brunch/Breakfast You’re Looking For?
Making it Easy
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you.