Enjoy all the comforting classic flavors of rich beef stroganoff in an easy one pot recipe! Perfect for busy weeknights, but special enough for guests, luscious sour cream sauce, savory ground beef & mushrooms and silky egg noodles make every night a warm comfort food night!
There might not be a dish more synonymous with comfort food than a timely served beef stroganoff! From the tender pasta to the creamy sauce, smothered mushrooms and beef, this traditional family dish checks the boxes for all things warm and filling.
And what’s better yet is how easy it is to put on your family’s table! This one pot, ground beef spin on a traditional stroganoff delivers classic goodness in less than 30 minutes, using simple ingredients from your fridge and pantry.
What You Need To Make Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff
- ground beef
- yellow onion
- mined garlic
- dried thyme
- salt & pepper
- sliced mushrooms (white button or baby portobello, also called cremini)
- dry white wine
- beef stock or broth
- lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- sour cream
- broad egg noodles
What type of Beef should I use for the best Stroganoff?
- This recipe uses a lean ground beef. Why? Ease and accessibility. We all have that package of hamburger meat that stares at us from the freezer when we’re trying to decide what to make for dinner. Plus, ground beef is packed with rich, delicious flavor that is quick & simple to prepare!
- Traditional beef stroganoff usually is prepared with rump steak or sirloin steak that has been thinly sliced or cut into small pieces, then browned.
What is Stroganoff Sauce made of?
- The creamy sauce is probably what everyone likes best about this family favorite. And its true; it’s smooth, rich taste is the soul that ties it all together. But what’s surprising is how easy it is to make!
- Flour is added to the browned ground beef, then a little white wine & beef broth to create a thick liquid base where the pasta will simmer. After the pasta is tender, sour cream is folded in to give this stroganoff that signature beefy, creamy finish everyone craves.
- Looking for a sour cream substitute? Try Greek yogurt instead.
What to serve with One Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Garlic Honey Glazed Carrots
- Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Lemon Asparagus
- Broccoli Slaw with Apples
- Mix it up by ditching the pasta and serving this dish over mashed potatoes or rice!
Can I freeze Beef Stroganoff?
- Absolutely! This meal freezes and thaws great which makes it a perfect choice to take to friends, family or neighbors who might need a boost.
- It’s also a perfect way to save any leftovers for another day.
- To reheat, let the dish come to room temperature, add a little broth, cover and heat in a 350 degree oven.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Easy One Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/3 C white wine
- 4 C beef stock or broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 12 oz broad egg noodles
- 16 oz sour cream
- fresh parsely
- In a 12-13 inch cast iron skillet or dutch oven, brown lean ground beef with diced onion, garlic, salt & pepper. No need to drain meat.
- Add thyme & mushrooms. Incorporate and cook until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour and stir to coat all ingredients.
- Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits off the bottom to deglaze the pan. When pan is deglazed, stir in beef broth, Worcestershire and lemon juice and bring to a simmer.
- Add egg noodles, cover and let cook until pasta is tender, about 9-10 minutes. Not all of the noodles will be submerged at first. Stir occasionally.
- When pasta is tender, stir in sour cream and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Top with chopped fresh parsley and serve.
Other Comfort Food Dishes You’ll Love
- Cheesy Beef Noodle Casserole
- Crowd Pleasing Lasagna
- Meat & Potatoes Ranch Au Gratin
- Easy Louisiana Sausage Jambalaya
- Pizza Stuffed Pasta Shells