Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins are the perfect way to round out almost any meal with a little pizzazz! This easy to follow cornbread recipe has plenty of cheesy goodness, a hint of sweetness & just the right amount of jalapeno kick all baked right into moist tender, buttermilk cornbread. Soups, chilis and family style meals will never be lonely again!
Sometimes a meal needs that little something extra to make it feel complete. Instead of reaching for the rolls (as warm & delicious as they are) in those situations, grab your muffin tin! In just a few minutes, you can whip up your own homemade cheddar jalapeno cornbread muffins. Homemade, you say? Yes, from scratch! And it’s so easy you’ll never need pre-made cornbread mixes or packages again.
Your family will love them just as much as you’ll be proud to put them on the table. But make sure you put at least one or two aside for yourself. With the smell of homemade baked cornbread in the air and the promise of a little butter, they tend to be gobbled up before they’ve even had time cool off!
What You Need To Make Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
- yellow enriched cornmeal
- self rising flour
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
- grated cheddar cheese
- fresh jalapenos
Tips for making the Best Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- Grating your own cheese always makes for a better dish. We also like to use sharp cheddar cheese for this recipe for an extra cheesy taste!
- Also, keep a little cheese back when making the batter (instructions below in recipe card). Use this extra cheese to top your cornbread batter before putting them in the oven for an especially golden, cheesy, inviting muffin.
- For tips on dicing fresh jalapenos and avoiding the burn, check out this recipe.
- Don’t skip the step of preheating the muffin tin with oil in each muffin cup when preheating the oven. That heated oil will sizzle when the cornbread batter hits it, cooking the bread and creating that delicious crisp edge that we all love!
What to Serve with Easy Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
Almost anything just absolutely sings when these muffins are served alongside! Nothing beats them sliced open and topped with a generous pat of melted butter. Not looking for an entire meal? Add a slice of homegrown tomato for a lunch or afternoon snack that is simply off the charts.
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas & Ham
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- Beloved Texas Red Chili
- Ultimate Okra & Tomatoes with Smoked Sausage
- Easy Louisiana Gumbo
- Easy Crock Pot BBQ Boneless Chicken Thighs
Other Bread Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Short Cut Pull Apart Rolls
- Savory Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits
- Fall Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Southern Cornbread Pudding
- Ultimate Short Cut Mexican Cornbread
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Easy Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- 1 C enriched yellow cornmeal
- 1.25 C self rising flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 C buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ C vegetable oil (+ 12 teaspoon for muffin tin)
- 2 C grated cheddar cheese, (reserving a little to top muffins with)
- ⅓ C diced fresh jalapenos (about 1 ½ - 2 jalapenos)
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to the bottom of each cup of the muffin tin. Put tin in oven to preheat tin and oil while oven also preheats.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a fork mix together the dry ingredients- cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and vegetable oil. Use the fork to mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until the batter is mostly smooth. Fold in all but a small handful of grated cheddar and all jalapenos.
- Remove tin from oven. Carefully tilt in a circular motion to cover lower sides of muffin cups with oil. Spoon batter into muffins into cups. (Hot oil should sizzle.) Fill cups almost completely full with batter. Top with leftover cheese.
- Place in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before removing muffins from tin.
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!