This easy shortcut recipe for Mexican Cornbread makes the ultimate one dish casserole meal for any night of the week. Whipped up using a cornbread mix & poured into a sizzling cast iron skillet, this cheesy dish is made with creamed corn, seasoned ground beef and spicy jalapenos baked right in!
What You Need To Make Mexican Cornbread
- cornbread mix
- ground beef
- taco seasoning
- yellow onion
- creamed corn
- cheddar cheese
- diced jalapenos
- cooking oil
- lettuce, tomato, sour cream & green onions (optional)
It’s easy to spice up dinner time with this simple 7 ingredient recipe. Using easy ingredients like canned cream corn, canned diced jalapenos and a cornbread mix, the only prep required is grating cheese (see my notes below) and browning some ground beef!
It all mixes together in one generous mixing bowl and is poured straight into a cast iron skillet preheated with just a little oil. When you hear the snap, crackle and sizzle as the cornbread batter hits the pan, you know it’s going to turn out just right. Golden edges, crispy fried outside and tender, light insides!
Your Mexican Cornbread is loaded with meat, cheese, corn and peppers. Dense, moist and with flavor to spare, top your slice with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and a few green onions for a complete fiesta flair!
We all are on the constant lookout for wonderfully delicious recipes that brings family and friends to the table without a lot of fuss. A dish that inspires a little table talk, a few laughs and definite rounds of seconds. Easy from start to finish, this Mexican Cornbread is just that kind of dish. So why not serve up a little magnifico this week!
Ultimate Shortcut Mexican Cornbread
- 12 inch cast iron skillet
- (2) 6.5 oz yellow cornbread mix packages
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1-2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- (1) 1 oz package taco seasoning
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- (1) 14.75 oz canned creamed corn
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
- (1) 4 oz can diced jalapenos, drained
- chopped tomatoes, lettuce, green onions, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Add 1-2 Tbsp canola oil to skillet. Preheat skillet in oven.
- Brown lean ground beef. Add diced onion and taco seasoning packet while browning. Do not add any water per seasoning packet. Drain meat after browning if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together cornbread mix and buttermilk. Add rest of ingredients to batter one at a time. Stirring to incorporate before adding the next.
- Remove heated skillet from oven. Add loaded cornbread batter to heated skillet. Batter should sizzle. Spread batter evenly across skillet and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and middle is set.
- Slice into wedges and serve with toppings!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Layered Beef Enchiladas
- Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- Taco Hand Pies
- Catalina Taco Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Foil Packets
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Make Ahead Tips & Notes
- Because this is a shortcut recipe, there is not a lot of prep that can be done ahead of time. But you could always brown the ground beef, chop up your toppings and shred your cheese the day before. It is not recommended to mix the cornbread batter ahead of time.
- Keep in mind this is a shortcut recipe. You could always make your cornbread from scratch, chop fresh jalapenos, make your own taco seasoning, etc. Each of those things is awesome, but this recipe is all about ease and convenience.
- For even quicker prep, you could buy cheddar cheese that is already grated. However, many times that cheese has been coated in potato starch or other anti-coagulating agents that keep it from melting just quite right.
- If you want a less spicy cornbread, try diced green chiles. Equally delicious with zero to no heat.
- Don’t skip preheating your skillet. It’s the key to all great cornbread!
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***Pin & Save This Mexican Cornbread Recipe***