Sweet and earthy with warm spices, a hint of molasses and a humble cornbread crumble, Easy Sweet Potato Cornbread is the perfect side dish for a hot bowl of soup or chili, Sunday’s fried chicken, even Thanksgiving!
What can I say? I am completely smitten. Sweet Potato Cornbread is just about one of the best things I have ever eaten. Heck, yes to serving it up with salty, melted butter and all the greens and ham.
But it might even be better just standing in the kitchen, eating it straight out of the skillet… It’s definitely going to have you making some trips to the kitchen just to grab a secret bite or two.
RELATED RECIPES: 7 Easy Sweet Potato Recipes
What Does Sweet Potato Cornbread Taste Like
Sweet potato cornbread tastes like everything that’s good about southern cooking. It’s light and sweet, earthy and warm and 100% comforting in every way. Think about what it would be like if tender cornbread got together with Sweet Potato Casserole or velvety sweet potato pie. Yeah, like that.
- all purpose flour
- self rising yellow cornmeal
- canned sweet potatoes in syrup
- half & half
- sour cream
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- baking powder
- baking soda
- cooking oil for the skillet
How to Make Sweet Potato Cornbread
Preheat the oven and the skillet. Preheating the skillet with a little oil in it is essential to making good cornbread. When the batter hits the hot skillet and oil, it should sizzle and bubble. This is what creates a nice crispy crust on your cornbread.
Make the batter. Whisk together the dry ingredients. Mix together the wet ingredients. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together just until everything is incorporated.
Bake. Pour batter into preheated skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the center is firm to the touch.
What to Serve With This Easy Cornbread
Sweet potato cornbread tastes great with anything that regular cornbread would go with. In addition to holiday meals, we especially enjoy it with:
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- Creole Roasted Turkey Breast
- Texas Chili
- Hearty Sausage Potato Kale Soup
- Italian Stuffed Eggplant with Sausage & Rice
- Classic Family Pot Roast
- Crispy Southern Fried Chicken
Storing & Freezing
If you happen to have any leftover cornbread (which is practically unheard of!), it’s good for 2-3 days when stored in an air tight container either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
To freeze this cornbread, simply wrap well or place in a zip top freezer bag and freeze for 2-3 months. To thaw, let sit out until it comes to room temperature. Place in 350 oven, covered with foil, to warm.
More Bread Recipes to Love
- Easy Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- Short Cut Pull Apart Rolls
- Savory Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits
- Fall Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Southern Cornbread Pudding
- Ultimate Short Cut Mexican Cornbread
- 1.25 cup self rising yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 oz canned sweet potato in syrup, drained well and lightly mashed
- 3/4 cup half & half cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil for the skillet
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to a cast iron skillet or baking dish. Place in oven to heat while the oven is preheating.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt (the first 7 ingredients).
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, mix together sweet potatoes, half & half, sour cream, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, molasses.
- Add the sweet potato mixture (wet ingredients) to the flour mixture (dry ingredients) and mix just until all of the ingredients are wet. Don't over mix.
- Remove hot skillet from oven. Carefully, swirl the skillet so that the heated oil covers the bottom of the pan and a little up the sides. Pour batter into skillet. Oil should sizzle and bubble around the edges when the batter is poured in. This creates a crisp crust on the cornbread.
- Place skillet back in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown and the center is set (firm when touched). Serve hot with butter