Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy to make. It’s bright colors and lively flavors are like a little fiesta in a bowl! It’s pure Tex-Mex comfort food. And around here, I can’t feed The Engineer enough of it.
This recipe, even with its 2 lbs of chicken and 8 quart stock pot full of Tex-Mexy goodness, performs a disappearing act before I can snag a decent amount for the leftover containers. Every single time.
The Engineer fusses that my soup pot isn’t big enough (8 quarts, ya’ll!), but I see his 3rd and 4th bowl. He’s not fooling anybody. What’s a girl to do when she’s just got a darn good recipe?!
Just make more is what he says. …Well, hmm… good thing it’s so easy to make!
What You’ll Need to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
- chicken broth
- canned diced tomatoes and chiles
- taco seasoning
- canned black beans
- frozen corn
- toppings- avocado, tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese
Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of those one pot meals that we eat almost all year long (since someone loves it so much). Chock full of corn, black beans, zesty tomatoes, it doesn’t take long to cook on the stove top, and except for the chicken, there’s zero prep! So, I’m happy to oblige!
I love it when the fam loves a dish this much. And its being so easy to make is a HUGE plus! But the thing that really gets my vote about this soup are the toppings.
Cool avocados and sour cream, grated cheese that melts and crispy tortilla strips make it almost seem more like a bowl full of chip and dip than homemade soup. And if there is one thing I love, it’s chip and dip! It’s makes even a Tuesday night feel like a party! A party that makes everyone feel happy.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 lb Chicken breast tenderloins
- 2- 32 oz chicken broth
- 4- 10 oz cans diced tomatoes & chiles
- ⅔ C your favorite salsa
- 1 oz taco season packet
- 1- 15 oz can black beans
- 10 oz frozen corn
- 1 C fresh cilantro chopped
- avocado diced
- sour cream
- grated cheese
- tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips
- Boil chicken and set aside to cool.
- Add broth, canned tomatoes, salsa and taco seasoning to large stock pot over medium heat. Stir.
- Shred chicken and add to soup with beans and corn. Stir again.
- Add chopped fresh cilantro and squeeze the lime to add a spritz of lime juice. Stir and let heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve topped with sour cream, tortilla strips, grated cheese and diced avocado.
Find this and other great recipes on Foodie Friday!
Making it Easy to Make & Serve This Soup!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!