Summer okra, fresh diced tomatoes sauteed with smoked sausage and served over rice for a deliciously quick and easy seasonal meal full of rich, savory flavor! Just 4 ingredients and 20 minutes is all it takes to make this ultimate Southern summer meal.
What You Need To Make An Okra & Tomatoes Skillet with Smoked Sausage
- White rice
- beef smoked sausage
- salt, pepper, & flaked red pepper
I have to admit. I used to be a fried okra only girl… until I ate this one summer at my aunt’s house. The bright colors as she was tossing it all in a skillet are what caught my eye, but the rich flavors of the fresh tomatoes and salty, seasoned sausage (and yes, even the okra) are what captured my taste buds.
Many tomato and okra recipes are stewed with celery and onions to boot, but this one is just sauteed with simple, bright ingredients. A quick 5-8 minute run around a hot skillet keeps the tomatoes and okra from cooking down and losing most of their color, texture and flavor.
A lot of Southern vegetable dishes are “cooked down,” or cooked for an extended period of time until the vegetables are soft. Which, come to think of it, is probably why I didn’t like many vegetables as a kid. Bright, vibrant vegetables bursting with sweet flavor straight from the summer sun and rain win the day every time.
This dish stays in the pan just long enough for the sausage to render it’s rich flavors and the acid in the tomatoes to wash away the thick juice okra releases as it cooks.
After sauteing, tomatoes and okra with smoked sausage make the perfect meal when served over rice and with a nice, thick slice of buttered cornbread. They also show out a bit when spooned over creamy cheese grits. However you decide to serve them, they’re always unbelievably easy and delicious- a little bit of summer on a plate… or in a skillet. You get the idea.
Ultimate Tomatoes & Okra Skillet with Smoked Sausage
- 3 C prepared white rice
- 1 Tbsp canola or olive oil
- 2 C diced tomatoes
- 2 C chopped okra
- 12 oz beef smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Place skillet on medium heat. Add oil and allow to heat, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add sausage. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add okra. Cook for 1-2 minutes with sausage, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes. Stir often, but not too much as the tomatoes will break down easily. Cook until the thick juice from the okra is broken down.
- Add salt and peppers. Toss gently and serve immediately over rice.
Other Delicious Southern Dishes You’ll Love
- Cornbread & Squash Dressing
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- BBQ Shrimp & Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits
- Easy Louisiana Gumbo with Green Chile Rice
- Fresh Sweet Corn Relish
- Refreshing Strawberry Iced Tea
- Lemonade Refrigerator Pickles
Did You Know?
- Okra is a member of the mallow family, along with hibiscus and cotton.
- The thick juice okra emits when heated is a combination of sugar residues and protein. With it’s own “built in” natural thickening agent, okra is perfect for stews and gumbos.
Making It Easy To Host & Serve
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
I have signed up the cookbook e-book twice now and I have not received.. It’s not in spam or other folders..
Please check for me..