This easy recipe for Out of This World White Chicken Chili is made wonderfully thick and creamy using rich cream cheese, creamed corn, shredded chicken, and white beans. And don’t forget about the spicy little kick from a jar of tangy salsa verde! Out of this world, you say? Oh, yes. One bite and this quick & simple recipe is sure to find its way to your table again and again.
Can one really say that chili is luxurious? Is that too much? I don’t know. All I know is that with one bite, we all just had to put our spoons down and savor the moment. The layers of flavor, the thick, rich creaminess. With a slice of cornbread, it is a hearty comfort food meal for the record books.
And you’re not going to believe how easy it is. There are a lot of white chicken chili recipes out there. Many of them have you cooking beans down for 30-45 minutes to thicken the sauce or cooking the chicken for a whole day in the crock pot, taking it out, shredding it and then putting it back in to cook some more.
There’s none of that here. We need quick and easy. Something we can throw in the crock pot before work or whip up on the stove top after work. With plenty time left to pop it on the table with the flourish of a high energy short order cook. Spins, twirls and all. This, my friend, is your recipe.
How can we do this? Well, just a few strategic ingredients here and there make all the difference. Cream cheese is the obvious star in the dish. But using creamed corn instead of whole kernel corn warrants a little attention. I thinking even co-star status. With its own thickening agents, creamed corn brings a lot to the table, including rich flavor. And last but not least, salsa verde has a fullness of body and flavor all its own as compared to just diced green chiles.
These flavor and thickening shortcuts all come together to make one velvety, savory dish worthy of some spotlights and awards. And while all that is good, the true payoff comes from full, warm bellies, empty bowls and smiles around the table. And this chili provides that in spades.
What You Need To Make Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- minced garlic
- chicken broth
- northern white beans (or canellini beans)
- green salsa (salsa verde)
- creamed corn
- cream cheese
- half & half
- fresh cilantro
- salt, pepper
- cumin, oregan, chili powder, cayenne
Pro Tips & Tricks
- Minimize prep time by using rotisserie chicken from your local grocery story.
- Want thicker chili? Chili is supposed to be thick and hearty! Usually this recipe is plenty thick, but sometimes I have to help it along. When that’s the case, I just make a paste of 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp water and stir it into my simmering chili. After a stir or 3, it thickens right up!
- This recipe can bring the heat! But only if you want it to. Salsa Verde comes in a mild, medium and hot varieties, so choose according to what your people like to eat. We’re some spicy folks around here, but I still choose the medium because this recipe also calls for Cayenne Pepper.
- To further cut down on the heat, you can half the amount of Cayenne or just not add it all. But what fun is that?
- This recipe is perfect for your crock pot or slow cooker! Pre-cook your chicken or use Rotisserie chicken. Add all ingredients. Cook on low for 3-4 hours. Stir every now and then to mix in melted cheese.
- Family meal, yes! But this recipe is also rocking for tail gates and game day!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT & LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Out of This World Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 C shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic, generous
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 15 oz can cream corn
- 16 oz jar salsa verde
- (2) 15 oz can northern white beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp each of salt, cumin and dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each of ground black pepper and chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/2 to 1 C half & half
- 1 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- If using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boil, drain and shred.
- While chicken is boiling, dice onion and sautee with minced garlic in large soup pot with 1 Tbsp olive oil until translucent. Stir in chicken broth and let cook for 1 minute. Add creamed corn, salsa verde. Stir and let cook for another minute. Add beans. Stir well. Add the salt, peppers and dried spices. Let simmer on low for 5 minutes or until chicken is ready.
- Stir in shredded chicken. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Stir in half & half. Add cilantro. Stir well.
- Serve with cornbread or corn chips. Can be topped with avocado and cheese.
Other recipes You’ll Love
- Texas Red Chili
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Green Chile Chicken Stuffed Cheesy Bread
- Layered Beef Enchiladas
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!