Enjoy all the flavors of deliciously rich & cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu in a easy pasta casserole that will blow your family away! Ham, chicken and penne pasta all wrapped in a creamy swiss cheese sauce and topped with a crisp panko topping is unbelievably delicious comfort food that is sure to earn a regular spot on your dinner table.
What You Need To Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- penne pasta
- swiss cheese
- cream cheese
- half & half
- panko bread crumbs
- dijon mustard
- paprika, dried parsley, onion powder
- salt & pepper
Chicken Cordon Bleu has always been a favorite. I mean, who wouldn’t love a butterflied chicken breast with ham and cheese layered inside, then rolled and pan fried to a crisp, golden piece of heaven. Swoon! Just the thought makes my mouth water.
But it also makes my knees tremble a bit. That’s a some kind of culinary feat. After all, it’s not called cordon bleu (blue ribbon), a term applied to food prepared to the highest of standards and by outstanding cooks, just to be fancy. …But then there’s this casserole…
That’s right. CASS- E-ROLE, Baby. Ham, chicken, pasta, cheese sauce. All in one dish, baked up just right with none of the fuss or fret of a roulade or butterflying or stuffing… We’re having Chicken Cordon Bleu whenever we want! Bring on the blue ribbons. We’re winning the best dinner prize!
And truly, this is one of the best casseroles ever to cross my table. 100% family approved and guaranteed to bring them to the table. We’re talking change plans and rearrange schedules to be there for dinner kind of good. And for a home cook, there’s nothing better than a full table and the clink of forks to make a heart happy.
Notes & Tips
- To make prep quicker & easier, use a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store instead of boiling and shredding 3-4 chicken breasts. This is also a great job for “helpers” in the kitchen. Cooking with family & friends is second only to eating with family & friends.
- Make sure you buy a really good ham for this dish, not sliced deli meat. A good ham will infuse the whole dish with tender, rich flavor. You should be able to buy a small portion of a ham at your deli counter or in the meat & deli section of your store where the hams are sold. I’m partial to hickory smoked ham when it comes to complimenting the other ingredients in this dish.
- And, as always, grating your own cheese lends itself to the creamiest, most delicious of cheese sauces. Again, your deli counter is your best bet for buying a small block of Swiss cheese to grate.
Making Ahead, Freezing & Storing Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- This dish is perfect for making the day before. Spoon it all into the casserole dish you plan to bake it in, cover and store overnight. Bring the dish to or close to room temperature before cooking in your preheated oven. It might take just a little longer than 30 minutes to cook since it’s been in the fridge.
- Leftovers can be covered tightly and stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. (Who are we kidding? It will be gobbled up way before then!)
- This casserole is also a top notch candidate for freezing and reheating which makes it perfect for taking to friends, families and neighbors who might need a meal. To reheat, remove from freezer, heat in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until heated through. Never put a frozen glass dish in the oven. You might want to add extra cream when reheating to make sure the casserole is nice & creamy.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and diced or shredded
- 2 C cubed ham
- 16 oz penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 2.5 c half and half
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1 lg egg, beaten
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 C grated Swiss cheese
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 C panko bread crumbs, packed
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Lightly spray large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare pasta, ham & chicken before making sauce. Pasta should be al dente to avoid overcooking when further baking in the casserole.
- In a large stock pot, warm half & half and broth over low heat. Whisk in beaten egg, parsley, seasonings & mustard. Add cream cheese, whisking until melted. Add Swiss cheese, whisking until melted. Sauce will have lots of cheese pull.
- Remove from heat and stir in ham and chicken. Fold in pasta. When well mixed, spoon into prepared large casserole dish. Top with 1/2 C panko. Drizzle panko with melted butter. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Spaghetti Stuffed Garlic Bread
- Chicken & Wild Rice Skillet Casserole
- Creamy Rotel Chicken & Spaghetti
- Cheesy Beef Noodle Casserole
- Easy White Ravioli Casserole
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***Pin This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe***