Tomato Alfredo Baked Ziti is an easy family pasta dish that combines the bright, tomato-ey goodness of marinara with rich, cheesy alfredo sauce to create the creamiest, most delectable comfort food around!
This is one baked pasta dish my family craves on the regular. They can’t get enough of its special creamy, tangy sauce, the loads of melted mozzarella and velvety al dente pasta all baked up just right. It’s not lasagna like. There’s no eggs, meat or ricotta. It’s sauce and pasta. Really, really good sauce. It’s simple food. It warms the belly. There’s always plenty for seconds! And it leaves everyone feeling loved!
Sometimes called Rosy Baked Ziti because of its color, this recipe combines the absolute best of both sauce worlds- tomato & alfredo. Smooth, rich but also bright and acidic, that first bite is always a “close your eyes & enjoy the happiness” kind of moment.
But the absolute best is how easy it is to make! The alfredo sauce used here is the same used in my Easy, Creamy Fettucine Alfredo. But if there is a jarred alfredo and a jarred marinara you like, just combine the two for a quick & easy shortcut that eliminates almost all of the prep time!
What You Need to Make Tomato Alfredo Baked Ziti
- ziti pasta
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- crushed tomatoes & tomato sauce
- chicken broth
- salt, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning
- dried parsley
- red pepper flakes (optional)
Can Baked Ziti Be Made Ahead of Time?
This is a perfect make ahead dish. It can even be frozen. Both make it ideal for sharing with a friend or neighbor who might need a little boost!
- To make this dish ahead of time, just follow the directions to assemble the dish. Then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 24 hours before baking. Don’t forget to let your 9×13 or bakeware come close to room temperature before putting it in the oven so it doesn’t crack.
- This dish can be frozen before baking if you’re making meals ahead of time or stocking a friend’s (who just had a baby or might be sick) freezer.
- Freezing is also a great way to save any leftovers for an easy meal on the day when you don’t really feel like cooking.
Add 1 pound of browned Italian sausage or seasoned browned ground beef for a hearty twist. Fresh chopped basil is delicious too!
Other Comfort Food/ Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
In addition the recipes listed here, search “pasta” using the search bar for even more yumminess!
- Crowd Pleasing Lasagna
- Classic 3 Cheese Baked Manicotti
- Rotel Chicken & Spaghetti
- Pizza Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Spaghetti Stuffed Garlic Bread
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Tomato Alfredo Baked Ziti
- 16 oz ziti pasta
- 1 C grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 C shredded Parmesan cheese (not the powder)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
Tomato Alfredo Sauce
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1.5-2 C cream (I use half & half.)
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 2 C shredded Parmesan cheese
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
- 1/2- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x13 baking dish or casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large pot on the stove top, cook pasta al dente according to instructions on the pasta box or package. Do not overcook. Pasta will continue to cook as it is baked later. Drain pasta and set aside.
- While pasta drains, prepare sauce in empty pasta pot.
- Return pot to stove top. Over medium heat, melt butter and brown garlic. Whisk in broth and cream. Whisk in shredded Parmesan cheese 1/2 C at a time. Whisk until melted and smooth before adding the next 1/2 C of cheese.
- When all of the Parmesan cheese has been incorporated, add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and seasonings. Stir to combine well. Add pasta to completed sauce. Toss to coat all of the pasta.
- In sprayed baking dish, layer 1/2 of sauced pasta, 1/2 C of mozzarella cheese & 1/2 C Parmesan cheese. Repeat. Sprinkle parsley over the top of your last layer. If you are adding red pepper flakes for a little kick, sprinkle it also. Place dish in preheated oven to bake for 25-30 minutes.