Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole is an easy, one-pot rice dinner recipe with all the flavors and feels of your favorite taco! Loaded with seasoned ground beef, black beans, corn and tomatoes, this hot & cheesy Tex Mex comfort meal is a guaranteed family favorite.
My family sometimes calls this one skillet gem Taco Rice. And I can see why. It is basically Mexican rice amped up into a complete, all-in-one taco meal! Tacos without the hassle of prepping all the separate parts… What could be better?! How about having all this cheesy rice & beef goodness on your table in 30 minutes or less!
As the rice simmers with the spices and other ingredients, amazing flavor is created and sealed in with a layer of gooey Mexican cheeses. You’re going to love it with a dollop of sour cream and pile of tortilla chips!
Why We Love This Recipe
- It has all the flavors of our favorite Taco Tuesday meal, but is so easy to throw together at the last minute.
- One pot/skillet recipe means quick & easy clean up!
- It is versatile and can be made with any of these substitutions to meet your family’s needs: Ground Turkey, Brown Rice, Frozen Corn, Canned Pinto Beans, Diced Jalapenos, Fire-Roasted Tomatoes.
Ingredients For Mexican Rice Casserole
- lean ground beef
- yellow onion
- minced garlic
- taco seasoning
- instant rice
- chicken broth
- black beans
- kernel corn
- diced tomatoes & green chiles
- salsa ( Use the linked fresh recipe or your favorite brand.)
- diced green chiles
- grated Mexican blend cheese
- salt, olive oil
How to Make Cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole
Prepare Ground Beef. In a large (10-12 inch) skillet or Dutch oven, heat olive. Add diced yellow onion and minced garlic. Sautee just until garlic begins to brown. Add lean ground beef and brown. Drain any excess liquid (I use 90/10, so there usually isn’t any). Return beef to hot skillet & stovetop.
Add in the Goodies. Add diced tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, taco seasoning and salt to beef. Mix well. Let simmer for 5 minutes until almost all the liquid is gone, then fold in the corn & beans.
Add Rice & Cheese! Stir in broth and instant rice. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and allow to simmer 5-8 minutes or until rice is tender and fluffy, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, uncover, squeeze half a lime over dish, fluff rice, add cheese, and then simply re-cover to create all that melted cheese goodness!
How To Serve This One Pot Mexican Casserole
We usually eat this easy rice recipe in a bowl loaded with our favorite taco toppings, but you can also serve it on a plate with a green salad. Either way, tortilla chips are a must. This casserole is a great dipper!
Storing & Freezing Mexican Rice Casserole
If you happen to have leftovers (we never do), store them covered in the fridge for 3-4 days. To freeze, just place in an air tight freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight. Freshen up with more cheese and warm in the oven on 350 for 30-45 minutes.
Other Mexican Casseroles You’ll Love
- Layered Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Ultimate Shortcut Mexican Cornbread
- Tex Mex Sour Cream Enchiladas
More Rice Dinner Recipes
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- Beef & Mushroom Rice
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken & Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Stuffed Eggplant with Sasuage & Rice
- Chicken & Wild Rice Skillet Casserole
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet (1 ounce) taco seasoning
- 1 can (10 ounce) diced tomatoes & green chiles
- 1.5 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounce) diced green chiles
- 1 can (15.25 ounce) kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup instant rice
- 2 cup grated Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 medium lime
- cherry tomatoes, green onions, cilantro
- In a large (10-12 inch) skillet or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add diced yellow onion and minced garlic. Sautee until garlic begins to brown.
- Add lean ground beef and brown. Drain any excess liquid. Return beef to hot skillet.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add diced tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, taco seasoning and salt. Mix well. Let simmer for 5 minutes until almost all liquid is gone. Mix in corn & beans.
- Stir in broth and rice. Turn heat to low. Cover with lid or foil and allow to simmer 5-8 minutes or until rice is tender and fluffy, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, uncover, squeeze half a lime over dish, fluff rice, add cheese, re-cover to melt cheese.