From pound cake to soup, barbecue to tacos, mashed and fried, there’s so much more to sweet potatoes than a casserole (though I’ve got those too)! Get ready to enjoy one of fall’s coziest vegetables with this week’s recipe collection of easy sweet potato recipes for dinner.
It’s true. Sweet potatoes give apples and pumpkins a good run for their money when it comes to being fall’s most favored ingredient. Even though they can be enjoyed year round, sweet potatoes really shine when loaded up with a little cozy feels of fall and winter.
And they’re not relegated to the side dish category either. They make great desserts, and capitalizing on their sweet + savory status, sweet potatoes can really shine as a main dish too!
This delicious list of sweet potato recipes has a little bit of everything, helping you get the most out of the South’s favorite orange spud this season.
Did You Know?
- The sweet potato is indeed classified as a vegetable- a root vegetable.
- It was ranked as the most healthy vegetable, outranking all the other vegetables by at least 100 points! The Center for Science in the Public Interest, Washington D.C. copyright 1992.
- Sweet potatoes contain more potassium than bananas.
- Sweet potatoes do contain natural sugars, but they are actually lower on the glycemic index than white potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes aren’t just orange. Their skins can be red, purple or brown, and their flesh can be white, orange and purple.
- What we call yams here in the southern U.S. aren’t really yams. They’re sweet potatoes too.