Your favorite mashed potatoes are never going to be the same! Deliciously savory and unbelievably fluffy, these easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes whip up just right in 30 minutes with a little butter, garlic and sour cream and are the perfect side dish for every meal, even holidays!
This irresistible combination of naturally sweetened sweet potatoes & deeply savory ingredients will revolutionize your idea of what a good potato side dish is all about! Meat and potatoes are regular staples on most dinner tables. Don’t overlook the power of the sweet potato in that equation! With just a few of the right ingredients, they make a delectably light & fluffy partner for chicken, pork and even steak!
What You Need To Make Fluffy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet and savory does the trick for this versatile, delicious dish!
- whole sweet potatoes, washed & cleaned
- minced garlic
- sour cream
- half & half
- salt & pepper
How To Make The Best Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Making easy mashed sweet potatoes begins at the grocery store! Sometimes sweet potatoes can be quite gnarly in appearance with lots of bumps, bends and creases. This makes washing, cleaning and peeling a chore. But not all sweet potatoes are like that. Be picky and choose the smoothest potatoes you can find.
- This recipe peels and boils the sweet potatoes. If peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces, boiling sweet potatoes to fork tender only takes 15-20 minutes, saving loads of time over roasting or baking first!
- Other time savers include melting the butter in the hot pot the potatoes boiled in while the potatoes drain in a colander and using sour cream and half & half that isn’t chilled.
- An old fashioned hand-held potato masher does the trick for mashing the potatoes and mixing in ingredients without overworking the potatoes into a starchy, sticky mess.
How to Use Leftovers
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes can be covered and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To reheat in the microwave, just add a pat or two of butter. To reheat in the oven, add a couple of pats of butter and a little chicken broth. Cover with foil and reheat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
- These potatoes freeze beautifully, so they are great for making ahead or taking to someone who might need a mel. Simply thaw and heat using the oven instructions above.
The rich flavor, creamy, buttery texture and beautiful color of mashed sweet potatoes make for gorgeously inviting and memorable comfort food. Call your friends to the table with something truly special the next time you serve dinner!
More Fabulous Sweet Potato Recipes to Enjoy
- Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potato Wedges
- Loaded BBQ Sweet Potato Skins
- Cranberry, Goat Cheese, Pecan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Southern Sweet Potato Soup
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Pound Cake
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Fluffy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes, washed & cleaned
- 6-8 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 C sour cream, room temperature
- 1/4 C half & half, room temperature
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel sweet potatoes and chop them into 2 inch pieces. Add to large pot of salted water. (I add about 1 Tbsp of salt to the water.) Bring to a boil on the stove top over medium heat. Boil for 15-20 minutes of until the sweet potato pieces are fork tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes in colander. Add 6Tbsp butter to the hot pot the sweet potatoes just came from.
- Add drained sweet potatoes back to warm pot. Use a potato masher to mash potatoes, mixing in butter. Add in rest of butter, if needed. Mix in garlic, salt & pepper, sour cream and half & half, using the potato masher to mash & mix in all ingredients.
- Spoon into serving bowl to serve. Top with an extra pat of butter, chopped parsley or thyme, if desired.