In this Wild Rice & Sausage Casserole recipe, wild rice, sausage, spinach, parsley and parmesan cheese topped with a golden, flaky puff pastry crust make a savory pot pie-style casserole that is deliciously hearty and satisfying comfort food.
What happens when you marry savory wild rice and sausage dressing with a flaky, cheesy spanakopita pie? You get a ridiculously delicious heart and soul comfort casserole that your family will not be able to get enough of!
RELATED RECIPE: Louisiana Dirty Rice
The golden, flaky pastry crust, the savory seasoned wild rice and sausage… only made better with melted, salty parm and just the right amount of spinach. Make this casserole ahead of time for an easy weeknight meal, serve it at holidays, for Sunday dinner or when you share a meal with friends.
- baby spinach
- ground sausage- I like the hot variety.
- seasoned wild rice- I use Uncle Ben’s Quick Cook Wild & Long Grain Rice.
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- frozen puff pastry sheets
- eggs– Acts as a binder with the cheese to create a moist and delicious sausage filling.
- minced garlic
- salt, pepper, dried oregano
How To Make Wild Rice & Sausage Casserole with Puff Pastry
Prepare Sausage Mixture. Brown sausage with onions and garlic. Add in prepared seasoned wild rice. Fold in spinach and allow to wilt.
Add the Cheese. In a small bow, whisk together eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and oregano. Fold into the sausage mixture.
Assemble the Casserole. Spoon the sausage, rice, spinach & cheese mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish. Top the casserole with puff pastry sheets, overlapping and folding edges where necessary. Brush with egg white to bake.
Bake. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry top is golden brown.
What To Serve With Wild Rice & Sausage Casserole
- Broccoli Slaw with Apples & Brussel Sprouts
- Classic Fruit Salad with Old Fashioned Cream Sauce
- Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- Honey Glazed Carrots
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas & Ham
Recipe Variations & Add Ins
Add sliced mushrooms, chopped red bell pepper or chopped artichoke hearts for more veggies! A half of cup of ricotta cheese in the cheese mixture can help bind it all together and adds wonderful texture, especially if more veggies are added.
Storing & Making Ahead
To store leftovers, cover tightly and refrigerate. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or the whole casserole by covering it with foil and placing it in a 350 oven just until warm.
Make this casserole a day ahead of time by assembling the casserole WITHOUT the puffed pastry sheets. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Before cooking, set out casserole (and frozen puff pastry) for 20 minutes to remove the chill. Place the pastry on top, brush with egg whites and bake as directed.
Other Rice Recipes You’ll Love
- Beef & Mushroom Rice
- Italian Stuffed Eggplant with Sausage & Rice
- Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole (no canned soup)
- Louisiana Red Beans & Rice
- Easy Sausage Jambalaya
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- Chicken & Wild Rice Skillet Casserole
Wild Rice and Sausage Casserole with Puff Pastry Top
- 6.2 ounce box seasoned wild rice, prepared according to package
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 cups rough chopped baby spinach, (about a 5 ounce bag) stems removed
- 4 large eggs, 3 beaten, 1 for egg whites
- 4.5 ounces shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces frozen puff pastry sheets, (2 sheets) thawed
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Spray 9×13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown sausage. When sausage is almost browned, add onions and garlic. When sausage is brown and onions are translucent, remove from heat. Drain away any excess fat.
- Return to sausage to skillet. Stir in prepared rice. Fold in spinach and allow to wilt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together beaten eggs, Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, salt, pepper and dried oregano. Fold egg & cheese into sausage, spinach & rice mixture.
- Evenly add your sausage & rice to bottom of prepared 9×13 dish. Gently unfold the puff pastry sheet and lay them on top of your casserole. Overlap pastry sheets in the center of the casserole, if neccessary. Fold down and crimp any pastry edges that are hanging over the edge of the dish. Brush the pastry with 1 egg white.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is a beautiful golden brown.