This easy Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole recipe is deliciously savory comfort food baked right up in a cast iron skillet. With the ease of Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice, a crisp Ritz cracker topping, and a cheesy sour cream sauce loaded with chicken & veggies, this is the kind of cozy family meal you’ve been looking for!
What You Need To Make Chicken & Wild Rice Skillet Casserole
- boneless Chicken Breasts or Rotisserie Chicken
- flavored wild rice (like Uncle Ben’s)
- sour cream
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- chicken broth
- round butter crackers
- salt, pepper, garlic
- parsley (optional)
My family loves to eat comfort food. Nothing else seems to satisfy when my bigs are home from college and looking for some homecooked TLC. It’s over these familiar favorites that we seem to have the best conversations, laughs and just some genuine, well-spent time together. There’s just something about a hot, welcoming meal that brings out the best.
And that holds true whether I’m feeding the family or getting together with friends. Bringing this Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole to the table checks all the right boxes for gathering your people around the table. Hearty, homey and full of savory flavor, this easy skillet dish has just the right balance of warm, creamy rice goodness, tender vegetables and chicken and the flaky crunch of a buttery crust. It’s a complete meal in one skillet. Comfort food never misses!
Like an old family friend, this classic dish will settle right in at your table and be a part of all your best dinner moments. Completely satisfying and full of rich flavor, this is one dish that you’ll serve again and again.
Chicken & Wild Rice Skillet Casserole
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and chopped
- 6 oz box flavored wild rice (I use Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice Original Recipe.)
- 5 tablespoon butter
- 2 C chopped broccolini florets
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ C diced celery
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ C flour
- 16 oz chicken broth
- 8 oz sour cream
- ½ C shaved parmesan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 36 round butter crackers, crushed
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- parsley, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- Prepare rice according to instructions. Boil chicken. While rice and chicken are cooking, chop onion, celery and broccoli.
- In a 10-12 in. cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrots, celery, broccoli and garlic. Saute just until onion is translucent. Stir in flour to absorb butter and coat vegetables. Add broth. Stir until sauce is smooth. Add sour cream and stir until blended. Add Parmesan cheese. Stir until melted and well blended. Add salt & pepper.
- Add chopped chicken to skillet. Mix well. Fold in rice. Top with crushed crackers. Drizzle 2 tablespoon melted butter over crackers. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown and edges are bubbly.
- This Chicken & Rice Casserole can easily be made ahead of time and/or frozen. If you want to do either, simply put chicken & rice mixture into a 9X13 casserole dish or baking pan then add the buttery cracker topping. Cover dish completely and refrigerate or freeze for later.
- Use 2-3 C of rotisserie chicken and quick cook rice to cut down on prep time!
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- Easy Beef & Mushroom Rice
- Phil’s Down for the Count Pineapple Chicken & Fried Rice
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Rotel Chicken & Spaghetti
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***Pin & Save This Chicken & Wild Rice Recipe***