Pasta salad meets chicken salad in this tantalizing sweet & savory Waldorf Chicken Pasta Salad! Loaded with red grapes, sliced almonds and tasty chicken, this recipe is all about cookouts, potlucks and family get-togethers while still hitting the mark for the perfect lunch or light dinner!
Waldorf Chicken Pasta Salad might just be the best recipe of the season! While the savory chicken and pasta keep everyone going back for more, it’s the sweet pops of grapes and the crunch of celery and almonds that entices them to dig in for another bite.
What is Waldorf Salad?
A simple salad of apples, celery, and a mayo/lemon juice dressing with the occasional handful of grapes and walnuts thrown in, a true Waldorf Salad is the classic sweet + crunch dish.
The first Waldorf Salad appeared well over 100 years ago as a part of a charity ball menu honoring St. Mary’s Hospital for Children. The soiree was held at the newly opened Waldorf Hotel, and the hotel has been serving them ever since.
Of course, like anything that’s truly good, everyone has their own version of the historic Waldorf. Some even include mandarin oranges and marshmallows. While this tasty pasta salad version here isn’t quite that daring, if Waldorf’s are your thing, you’re sure to love Apple Celery Cheese Salad and Tuna Salad with Apples & Celery.
Ingredients For Waldorf Chicken Pasta Salad
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- green onions
- red seedless grapes
- sliced almonds
- bowtie pasta
- real mayonnaise
- lemon juice
- coarse ground black pepper & parsley
How to Make this Pasta Salad
Chicken. Combine chicken, green onion and celery in large bowl.
Dressing. Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, pepper and parsley in a large measuring cup to create the dressing. Pour over top of chicken and mix until evenly coated.
Grapes & Pasta. Fold in grapes, pasta and sliced almonds, making sure all ingredients are evenly distributed. Top with extra cracked pepper for a littel extra flair and serve!
More Tips for Making This Recipe
- For even more delicious flavor, toast the almonds before adding them to the salad or add a diced honeycrisp apple for a little sweet crunch.
- Always use real mayonnaise when making this recipe.
- Need a short cut? Use rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store!
What To Serve with Waldorf Chicken Pasta Salad
And along with outdoor dining, comes a relaxed pace, the joys of friends & neighbors, plenty of laughter. Savoring a little joie de vive is what it’s all about! This month as we move out of doors to patios, decks and backyards, I hope you embrace all that’s good.
More Pasta Salad Recipes
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Waldorf Chicken Pasta Salad
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz bow tie pasta
- 1 C diced celery
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- 2 C real mayonnaise, generous cups
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp coarse ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 C red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 C sliced almonds
- Prepare chicken breasts by boiling in large pot of salted water. Drain. Let cool & chop or shred. (While chicken is cooling, prepare rest of ingredients.)
- Cook pasta to al dente. Don't over cook. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, celery and green onion.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, pepper and parsley in a large measuring cup to create the dressing. Pour over top of chicken and mix until evenly coated.
- Fold in grapes, pasta and sliced almonds, making sure all ingredients are evenly distributed. Top with extra cracked pepper, if desired and serve!