This classic Southern Black Eyed Pea Salad combines the savory goodness of creamy black eyed peas with the zesty crunch of crisp red and green bell peppers and purple onion. Marinated in Italian salad dressing, this easy salad is the perfect side dish for every meal from New Year’s Day to cookouts and potlucks.
Why We Love This Black Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
- This recipe is so easy. Just a little chopping and mixing and you’re done! Pressed on prep time? Use canned peas.
- This vibrant marinated salad is all about being made ahead of time! We love the convenience of pulling it out of the fridge and serving it.
- Talk about versatile! I’ve included lots of suggestions for making this salad your own. One recipe, lots of options!
- Have leftover black eyed peas? Don’t heat them up to re-serve them. This southern salad is a perfect way to breathe new life into yesterday’s veggie side dish!
- A fresh take on black eyed peas for New Year’s Day!
Black Eyed Pea Salad Ingredients
- frozen black eyed peas– I use frozen peas for a nice, fresh taste no matter the season!
- red/purple onion
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- minced garlic
- Italian salad dressing
Additions and Variations
- Peas– If you don’t have time to cook frozen peas, 13-15 ounce can of black eyed peas that have been drained and rinse will work! Dried peas are an option, and, of course, fresh black eyed peas in the summer are the best. Purple Hull Peas taste great in this recipe too!
- Peppers– Add a diced fresh jalapeno pepper (deveined and de-seeded) for a little kick! A few pepperoncini peppers add a nice zing when substituted for the green bell pepper.
- Extras– For more fresh taste, add chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes or corn. Chopped parsley and a sprinkle of feta add a whole other layer of yum!
How To Make Southern Black Eyed Pea Salad
Make the Peas. Cook frozen peas in water with ½ teaspoon of a salt at a low, gentle boil for 40 minutes or until fork tender. Drain peas in a colander in the sink.
Toss the Salad. In a mixing bowl, gently combine drained peas, onion, garlic, bell peppers and your favorite Italian salad dressing.
Let Marinate. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Serve chilled.
What to Serve with Black Eyed Pea Salad
- Crock Pot BBQ Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Pineapple Mustard Glazed Ham
- Cherry Cola BBQ Pulled Pork
- Southern Cornbread Pudding
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
Other Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Classic 7 Layer Green Pea Salad with Bacon
- Italian Green Bean Salad
- Confetti Frito Corn Salad
- Southern Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Fresh Sweet Corn Relish
More Black Eyed Pea Recipes
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Southern Black Eyed Pea Salad
- 12 oz frozen black eyed peas
- ⅓ cup diced red/purple onion
- ⅓ cup diced green bell pepper
- ⅓ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup Italian salad dressing
- Place frozen peas in a sauce pan. Add ½ teaspoon salt and cover with water. Place sauce pan on stove top over high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Turn heat down to medium. Let peas cook at a low, gentle boil for 40 minutes or until fork tender. Drain peas in a colander.
- In a mixing bowl, gently combine drained peas, onion, garlic, bell peppers and salad dressing. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Serve chilled.