There’s nothing better than a side dish that’s so fresh and delicious that you just can’t help going back for seconds! Light & crisp, this simple tomato cucumber salad with slivers of red onion and a lightly sweet and tangy vinegar dressing is that kind of dish. It’s perfect for picnics, cookouts, potlucks and just about any meal. But be forewarned once you whip it up, this salad is never around for very long!
What You Need To Make Tomato Cucumber Salad with Vinegar Dressing
- grape, cherry or Roma tomatoes
- red onion
- olive oil
- minced garlic, salt & coarse ground pepper
This little salad is just about as simple as they come. It’s bright, fresh flavors and crisp crunch taste like pure summer on a fork. With careful produce selection, it’s delicious any time of year. But in the summer, when tomatoes are at their peak and cucumbers are in abundance at the farmer’s market, this dish is absolute heaven!
What type of Tomatoes are Best?
- Fresh tomatoes are always going to be the best choice. There is nothing that can compare to the flavor of a home grown tomato! With that being said, you can use any kind of fresh tomato for this salad.
- However, I prefer grape, cherry or Roma tomatoes because they have more “meat” and fewer seeds and watery seed membranes, giving the salad better texture and color.
- Also, grape and cherry tomatoes tend to have a better tomato flavor when they are “out of season,” making them a great grocery store pick.
What Type of Cucumber is best?
- I use English cucumbers in this recipe because it’s skin is thinner and less tough than a regular cucumber. It also has fewer seeds. The bright green skin adds to the strong colors and visual appeal of the salad. Not to mention, it’s a whole lot easier just slicing a cucumber and not having to peel it first.
- But again, if you have fresh cucumbers from your garden or the farmer’s market… it’s hard to beat the robust flavor of fresh produce.
Around our house, this salad is a favorite with burgers or easy BBQ chicken, but it’s not unusual to see one of us eating it in the afternoon when the munchies hit or even as a light lunch all by itself. Once word gets out that this tomato cucumber salad is in the fridge, it’s all but gone!
Scrumptious Add In Ideas
- very thinly sliced green bell pepper
- crumbled feta cheese
- red pepper flakes
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Southern Tomato Cucumber Salad with Vinegar Dressing
- 10 oz grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced & halved
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5-2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- Place sliced cucumbers, tomatoes and onion in a medium bowl. In a measuring cup or salad dressing shaker, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over cucumbers, tomatoes and onion and toss. Serve immediately or chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Other Salads & Side Dishes You’ll Love
- Fresh Sweet Corn Relish
- Creamy Dill Potato Salad
- Tuscan Tortellini Salad
- Southern Macaroni Salad
- Italian Green Bean Salad
MAKING Fresh Salads Easy
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***PIN & SAVE this Southern Tomato Cucumber Salad***