This Overnight Breakfast Burrito Casserole turns breakfast burritos stuffed with spicy sausage, hashbrown potatoes and cheese into an easy, make ahead casserole that can feed a crowd! Soaked in eggs and cream and topped with extra cheese, family and friends are going to love having festive breakfast burritos for weekends, holidays and brunches.
We love having breakfast burritos, but it takes a lot to make all of the separate dishes required to put together a “build your own” breakfast burrito bar. Who has that kind of time on a Saturday or holiday morning?
That’s where this simple breakfast burrito casserole comes in so handy! It allows you to make 20 perfectly yummy breakfast burritos all at once! And with a time-saving make ahead option, breakfast burritos might just become one our most (tasty) convenient breakfast ideas ever!
Ingredients for Breakfast Burrito Casserole
- small flour tortillas
- ground breakfast sausage (hot)
- diced tomatoes & green chiles
- frozen shredded hashbrowns
- shredded Colby Jack cheese
- sour cream
- half and half
- salt, pepper, butter
How to Make Overnight Breakfast Burrito Casserole
Make the Filling. Brown the ground sausage with the tomatoes and chiles and set aside in a mixing bowl. Brown the potatoes with butter and salt and pepper in the same skillet with the sausage drippings. Add to the mixing bowl with shredded cheese to complete your burrito filling!
Roll the Tortillas. Add about 1/4 cup of the burrito filling to the center of each tortilla. Roll tortillas up tightly and place seam side down in casserole dish.
Make the Sauce. Whisk together eggs, half & half, sour cream, salt and pepper and pour over the rolled tortillas. Top with more cheese. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator 30 minutes to overnight.
Bake. Remove from refrigerator. Preheat oven and allow refrigerated dish to sit for a bit to take the chill off before popping it in a hot oven. Bake 30-40 minutes or until all of the egg is set for easy breakfast burritos you can serve to a crowd!
What to Serve with Breakfast Burrito Casserole
We love to serve these easy breakfast burritos with slices of avocado, cherry tomatoes, a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro. But you’ll also find big bowls of salsa, guacamole and fruit on our table using the recipes below!
- Fresh Salsa with Cilantro & Lime
- Tex Mex Guacamole
- Red & Green Fruit Salad
- Berry Watermelon Fruit Salad
- Pineapple Orange Fizzies
Tips for Making The Best Burrito Casserole
- This recipe separately seasons the hashbrowns and the eggs. Many recipes don’t. But I’ve found that adding well seasoned components to a recipe makes for a better over all dish than just seasoning one component and hoping that it is enough for everything.
- Flour tortillas tend to work better than corn for this recipe because they soak up the egg and cream mixture better.
- Fajita sized tortillas are also used for this dish. Why not burrito sized you might ask? Burrito sized tortillas are really large and usually produce a bigger than serving than most people want for breakfast. Most people eat 1-3 of these smaller breakfast burritos.
- Yes, technically this recipe is more like an enchilada recipe than a true burrito. This is a convenient twist on an individually made & served breakfast burrito.
Can I Freeze Breakfast Burrito Casserole?
You sure can! This breakfast casserole can be frozen before or after being baked.
Frozen before. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as directed in original recipe.
Frozen after. Let dish thaw in refrigerator and reheat by placing the whole dish in a 350 oven or by placing individual servings in a microwave.
Other Easy Breakfast Casseroles
- Overnight Green Chile Breakfast Strata
- Cheesy Farmhouse Breakfast Casserole
- Make Ahead Blueberry Breakfast Bake
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- Egg Nog French Toast Bake with Cranberry Pecan Topping
If You Make This Recipe, I Can’t Wait To Hear About It!
Leave A Comment & Rating Below Or Snap A Photo To Share.
- 20 small flour tortillas (fajita size)
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage, hot
- 10 ounces can of diced tomatoes & green chiles, undrained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 20 ounces shredded hashbrowns
- 2.5 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 12 large eggs
- 1 C half & half
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- Spray (2) 9×13 cooking dishes with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown ground sausage until there is no more pink. Stir in diced tomatoes and chiles. Pour sausage mixture from skillet into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and frozen hashbrown potatoes to skillet and cook until they begin to brown. Sir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add seasoned cooked potatoes to mixing bowl with sausage. Add 2 cups cheese and combine sausage, potatoes and cheese well.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the sausage mixture to the center of each tortilla. Roll tortillas up tightly and place seam side down in casserole dish.
- Whisk together eggs, half & half, sour cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour egg mixture over rolled tortillas. Top with 1/2 cup cheese. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator 30 minutes to overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. allow refrigerated dish to sit for a bit to take the chill off before popping it in a hot oven. . Bake 30-40 minutes or until all of the egg is set.