During the holidays and for special occasions, brunch is our morning meal of choice. And an easy make-ahead casserole makes brunch even better for me because that means I don’t have to stand around in the kitchen all morning. Instead I can hang out in my pjs and enjoy some family time with everyone else. Another perk to a casserole that I am sure you agree with is that it makes plenty, so I know there will be some left over for those who need a snack before we get around to a late lunch.
What You Need To Make Green Chile Strata
- flour tortillas
- canadian bacon
- green chiles
- Colby or Monterrey Jack cheese
- half & half
- ground mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
This particular casserole has always been a hit for my group and any guests we might have. It is something that is just enough out of the ordinary to keep my brunch-goers coming back for more. The recipe is a result of my parents’ stint in New Mexico. My mom just couldn’t wait for me to try this Green Chile Strata she had at a ladies’ gathering she attended there. I was leery at first. Dried mustard? Worcestershire? Eggs? But she knows her food, so I went all in with blind trust. And boy, am I glad I did.
Strata simply means layers. This dish is just that—simple layers of flour tortillas, cheese, green chiles, and Canadian bacon, soaked in an egg and cream mixture just before being baked into golden yumminess. The chiles aren’t spicy, and the tortillas soak up the eggs and cream so that they puff up into what is almost a soft pastry. This brunch casserole is a stand out partner to a tasty fruit salad and is one that you will be oh, so glad you tried.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- Make-Ahead Blueberry Breakfast Bake
- Savory Sausage, Egg & Cheese Brunch Cake
- Sheet Pan Eggs in a Basket
- BLT Quiche
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
Christmas Green Chile Strata
- 7-7 ½ inch tortillas, usually this is the fajita size
- (2) 4 oz. cans chopped green chiles
- 12-14 oz. Canadian bacon
- 4 C Monterrey Jack or Colby Cheese, shredded
- 5 beaten eggs
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of dried mustard
- 2 C cream, or half and half
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9x13 dish.
- Cut the tortillas and Canadian bacon into approximately 1 inch strips.
- Drain the chiles.
Layer in the 9x13 dish
- • Tortillas (don’t overlap)
- • Canadian bacon
- • ½ of the chiles
- • ½ of the cheese
- Repeat the layer a 2nd time to make 2 complete layers.
- Combine eggs with the remaining ingredients and beat. Pour egg mixture over the layers and refrigerate 30 minutes to overnight.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until puffed and bubbly around the edges.
***Pin This Overnight Green Chile Breakfast Strata***