Breakfast is always a favorite meal around here. Breakfast for breakfast, breakfast for supper, brunch… There is never a bad time for breakfast, especially when it’s as easy as this Make-Ahead Blueberry Breakfast Bake. It’s a little bit french toast, a little bit blueberry pancakes and every bit exactly what every breakfast and brunch table needs. Full of plump, ripe blueberries, golden sourdough, eggs, sweet cream and a hint of cinnamon and vanilla, this simple breakfast casserole is one of those comfort dishes that everyone looks forward to having!
This wonderfully simple dish never disappoints. It’s a feast for the eyes and nose, as well as the tastebuds. Serve it up just like it is or pour a little maple syrup over your little slice of heaven. Either way, this Make-Ahead Blueberry Bake is just about as good as family time around the table can get.
What You Need For This Make-Ahead Blueberry Breakfast Bake
- sourdough bread
- half and half
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
I made this dish earlier this week while at my parents for a big family breakfast. It was a huge hit, especially since it was so easy to whip up and allowed us plenty of time for visiting. I whisked together the eggs, cream, salt, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl, and Mom roughly cubed a loaf of sourdough.
We arranged the sourdough in the bottom of a buttered 9×13 baking dish, poured the egg mixture over it and then piled in as many fat blueberries as the cracks and crevices of this casserole could hold. Covering it carefully, we stored away our breakfast bake in the fridge so the sourdough could soak up all the eggs and cream it could hold. We let it soak for 30 minutes (just the right amount of time for a little visiting and cup of coffee on the patio), but an overnight soak in the fridge works great too!
Then 35 minutes in a hot oven while Mom cooked up sausage rendered this golden gorgeous number just begging to be spooned out on waiting plates. Blueberries bursting and bubbling, sweet cream and eggs married with the sourdough… oh, and the aroma!
Other Make Ahead Breakfast Casseroles You’ll Love
- Strawberry French Toast Casserole
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- Cheesy Farmhouse Breakfast Casserole
- Banana French Toast Bake with Frosted Flakes Topping
- Overnight Green Chile Breakfast Strata
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Make- Ahead Blueberry Breakfast Bake
- 8 eggs
- 2 C half and half
- 1/4 C brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 18 oz sourdough loaf roughly cubed
- 1 pint blueberries
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and generously butter the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Arrange the sourdough cubes in the bottom of the buttered baking dish. Pour egg mixture over the top of the bread, making sure to pour some mixture over each cube.
- Top with blueberries, filling all of the cracks and low spots in the dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let soak in the refrigerator 30 minutes (minimum) to overnight (maximum).
- Remove from the refrigerator and bake for 35-40 minutes.
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
Julie @ Back To My Southern Roots
Oh, I love this! It’s so colorful and looks so delicious. Mmm…
Blueberries always bring such great color and flavor! Hard to go wrong!
Would brioche bread work as well?
It sure will! Love Brioche. Should be delicious!