Easy summer meals made with fresh garden vegetables, including southern classics like Heirloom Tomato Pie, Squash Cornbread Dressing, Cherry Cola Pulled Pork and Creamy Dill Potato Salad.
This Week’s Secret To Success
This week’s recipes are built around loads of seasonal vegetables and fruit. Purchasing produce in season gets you the most bang for buck because:
- Fruits & veggies cost less when they are in season because they are plentiful and readily available.
- You can purchase directly from local farmers, supporting your local economy and avoiding many of the chemicals used in commercial farming.
- In-season produce that has been allowed to vine-ripen has so much more flavor, better texture, color and more nutrition than out-of-season fruit & vegetables that have to be picked early, sometimes stored and then shipped to your grocery store.
- Cooking seasonally is a southern tradition that has created some of the most fresh and delicious recipes around!
For this week’s summer meals, you can get almost everything at your local farmers’ market. You’re going to need:
- black eye peas
- bell pepper
- red, or new, potatoes
Want More Summer Meal Tips?
- If you don’t want to make all the side dishes this week, instead of making Creamy Dill Potato Salad, serve leftover Squash & Cornbread Dressing. It’s delicious with pork!
- It’s smart to make Blackberry Biscuits and Blackberry Cobbler in the same week so that you can get the most out of that ingredient and not have any waste.
- If you have leftover Cherry Cola Pulled Pork, make Sheet Pan BBQ Nachos to turn leftovers into a fun weekend meal!
Dessert This Week
Delicious southern blackberry cobbler doesn’t come any easier than with this simple recipe! With plump, juicy berries and an easy crisp, golden crust, this Skillet Blackberry Cobbler recipe uses the magic of cast iron to effortlessly bake up the perfect summer dessert!
Here’s What We’re Snacking On
Crisp and zesty, these easy Lemonade Refrigerator Pickles are steeped in lemonade, garlic, pepper and dill to create a delicious little pickle that packs a powerful flavor punch. Perfect with sandwiches, at cookouts and on appetizer trays, there’s no better way to enjoy small batches of homemade pickles than with this classic easy recipe with a fun flavor twist!
Making Breakfast Easy
Easy homemade Blackberry Buttermilk Biscuits add a whole new level of amazing to breakfast, brunch, even dessert! Loaded with plump, ripe blackberries, topped with a bright & zesty lemon glaze and just the right amount of buttery goodness, these berry-loaded biscuits are the something special you’ve been looking for!
New To Monday Menu?
Southern Discourse subscribers receive Monday Menus directly in their email inboxes, along with a little weekly encouragement. Here at Southern Discourse we’re bringing connection & friendship back to the table by wrapping everything in the faith and grace from which true hospitality springs!
Subscribe to join our community and receive easy meal ideas + enriching food for the soul every week!