Light & crispy puffed pastry sprinkled with bacon, garlic and parmesan cheese and baked up golden brown around tender asparagus makes a mouthwatering appetizer or side dish with the Bacon Parmesan Asparagus Twists!
No one can resist munching these delightful breadsticks come veggie dish! And that’s a good thing because we are always looking for new and fun ways to incorporate vegetable sides into our meals, mainly because I pefer fresh vegetables over cooked ones any day. But let’s be honest, there are only so many salads one can eat.
And that’s where these crazy little puff pastry asparagus twists come in. Part cheesy garlic breadstick and part good-for-you vegetables, they make eye catching appetizers with your favorite dip or an out of the ordinary side dish for holidays or your everyday favorite meal!
What You Need to Make Puff Pastry Asparagus Twists
- fresh asparagus
- puff pastry sheets
- bacon pieces
- grated Parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
How to Make Bacon Parmesan Asparagus Twists
Prep. Wash asparagus and trim away woody ends (these are the parts of the stalk that are pale, brown or purplish). There’s no need to peel the asparagus for this recipe.
Puffed Pastry. Unroll pastry sheet. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut pastry sheet lengthwise into long 1/2 inch strips. Discard or store extra dough for later use.
Assembly. Sprinkle the length of each dough strip with bacon pieces and gently press the pieces down into dough so that they will stick when you roll the asparagus up in the pastry!
Starting at bottom of the stalk, wrap or roll each asparagus stalk with one bacon-covered dough strip.
Brush pastry dough with beaten egg to create gorgeous golden color when it’s baked. To finish, sprinkle with garlic powder & Parmesan cheese.
Bake. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven or at temp & time stated on your pastry or dough package.
Tips for Making the Best Puff Pastry Asparagus Twists
Asparagus. Medium asparagus stalks are best for making these twists. Think just a tad bigger around than a pencil. If your stalks are too thin, consider bundling 2-3 in one twist. Stalks that are too thick tend to be tough and take longer to cook through than the pastry.
Puff Pastry. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut your pastry sheets cleanly. Avoid a back and forth, sawing motion that can pinch the sides of the dough. If you are having trouble sealing up the ends of the twists, use a little water on your finger tips to wet the end of the dough & press together.
Extra Flavor & Pizzazz. For an extra flavor boost, add a little lemon zest on top of the Parmesan cheese before baking. Serve with Ranch or Caesar dressing for dipping!
Other Delicious Side Dishes to Jazz Up Your Meals
- Ultimate Scalloped Potatoes
- Garlic Honey Glazed Roasted Carrots
- Southern Cornbread Pudding
- Fluffy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Ultimate Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Bacon Parmesan Asparagus Twists
- 12 medium asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 1 10 inch sheet puff pastry, chilled
- 3 oz. package bacon pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- garlic powder
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
- Wash asparagus and trim away woody ends.
- Unroll pastry sheet. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut pastry sheet lengthwise into long 1/2 inch strips. Discard or store extra dough for later use.
- Sprinkle the length of each dough strip with approximately 1/2 -1 tsp of bacon pieces. Gently press bacon pieces down into dough so that they stick to the dough. Roll each asparagus stalk with one dough strip, starting at bottom of stalk.
- Place asparagus on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Brush dough with beaten egg. Sprinkle with garlic powder to taste. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven or at temp & time stated on your pastry or dough package.