Hot Bacon Dressing is a warm, tangy delight served warm over bright baby spinach, chopped bacon, sliced mushrooms, red onion, and boiled eggs. Not quite like another other salad dressing, this bacon-ey vinaigrette transforms a simple spinach salad into something more! Perfect as side dish and as a crave-worthy, flavor packed lunch!
Maybe we should just let that sink in for a minute… Hot. Bacon. Salad. Dressing.
I tease you not, my friends. This tangy delight, served warm over those baby spinach greens is no ordinary salad dressing or bacon concoction. It is something altogether different but still wonderful in that special bacon-ey way we’ve all come to love. If possible, it’s pure comfort food in a salad bowl
A spinach salad with this hot bacon dressing is something that even my kiddos will eat, especially if I serve it alongside Cast Iron Skillet Steak or tender Roasted Buttermilk Chicken. Even better, enjoy it with a bowl of Creamy Short Cut Parmesan Cauliflower Soup or Southern Sweet Potato Soup. And while it is delightful over greens, it also adds pure joy to roasted baby potatoes, brussel sprouts or chopped cabbage. There’s not much this tangy, smoky, savory dressing won’t make sing!
What You Need To Make Hot Bacon Dressing & Tossed Spinach Salad
- shallots or green onion and minced garlic
- red wine vinegar
- honey mustard
- fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- boiled eggs
- red onion, thinly sliced
- salt & coarse black pepper
How to Make Hot Bacon Salad Dressing
This salad dressing recipe starts by cooking the bacon for the salad. Why? The oil base of this dressing is bacon fat and the renderings from the cooked bacon are used to amp up that salty, savory flavor we all love about bacon. Cooking it in a skillet stovetop is a must since we are going to use the renderings. I use thick sliced bacon for this (and every recipe) because I want to get just as much bacon in every bite as I can.
- Cook bacon, rough chop it and set it aside for the salad. Then pour off all but 2 Tbsp of bacon grease from the skillet, leaving all those good bits in the bottom of the skillet.
- Return the skillet, 2 Tbsp of bacon fat and the “good bits” to the stovetop and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots. (Or green onions and garlic- A shallot is a small, usually 2 clove, bulb that is something like a cross between a sweet onion and garlic. So if you can’t find shallots, a mixture of green onions or even Vidalias and garlic is a do-able substitute.)
- Whisk in the vinegar. It will steam quite a bit, and all that yummy stuff on the bottom of the skillet will start to loosen up. Scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Whisk in the honey mustard, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer while whisking. Remove from heat and let cool a little before drizzling over your salad!
Making You Spinach Salad
In a large salad bowl, toss together the spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion. Drizzle with warm dressing. Spinach and mushrooms will wilt a little as you toss. Add sliced boiled eggs after you toss to keep their yellows from from breaking to pieces in the salad. You might also want to sprinkle in croutons for extra crunch (oh, the bacon dressing in all those little crouton nooks and crannies!), chopped pecans or shaved Parmesan for another layer of flavor.
Here is a little mushroom tip: When you buy mushrooms, make sure you choose mushrooms that have tight gills, not gills that are large, open, or pulled away from the stem. This will ensure that your mushrooms stay fresh longer.
Other Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Blueberry Spinach Salad with Orange Poppyseed Dressing
- Bacon Tomato Pasta Salad
- Catalina Taco Salad
- Southern Tomato & Cucumber Salad
- Berry Salad With Pork Tenderloin & Cherry Vinaigrette
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Hot Bacon Dressing for Spinach Salad
- 5-7 slices thick cut bacon
- 1.5 Tbsp shallots, or 1Tbsp finely chopped green onions + 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 C red wine vinegar
- 2-3 Tbsp honey mustard
- salt & coarse ground black pepper
- 8 C fresh baby spinach, washed with stems removed
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 med red onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 boiled eggs, sliced
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. After the bacon is cooked, rough chop it and set it aside for the salad. Then pour off all but 2 Tbsp of bacon grease from the skillet, leaving all those good bits in the bottom of the skillet.
- Return the skillet, 2 Tbsp of bacon fat and the "good bits" to the stovetop and heat over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, or green onions and garlic. Sautee for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the vinegar and deglaze the pan. Whisk in honey mustard, and continue to whisk until bacon renderings, vinegar and mustard are all well incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp each) and bring to a simmer while whisking. Remove from heat and let cool a little.
- Assemble salad in a large salad bowl by tossing together the spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion. Drizzle with warm bacon dressing and toss. Add sliced boiled eggs last. Serve. See post for extras to add in your salad.
Originally published April 2, 2017.