Loaded with red onion, celery, red bell pepper, sweet pickles, hard boiled eggs and a creamy mayo dressing, this classic Southern Macaroni Salad is one of those staples that should be on every table at every gathering. And the really good thing (other than the delicious flavors) is that it’s so easy to make with just a few ingredients that most of us already have in our pantries and fridges!
What You Need To Make Southern Macaroni Salad
- elbow macaroni
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- sweet pickle relish
- hard boiled eggs
- sugar, salt, pepper, paprika and parsley
This recipe definitely makes enough to feed a crowd, so it’s perfect to take to potlucks, cookouts, family reunions or anywhere you might want to take a potato salad but don’t want all the hassle of peeling and boiling potatoes. In contrast to potatoes, a firm but tender pasta only takes 7 minutes on the boil with no prep work at all! Genius!
This quick and easy salad is the perfect partner to almost anything- pretty little sandwiches, pulled pork, ham, burgers… And if I add cubes of sharp cheddar cheese, my guys will raid the fridge and eat it by the bowlful as an afternoon (or midnight) snack.
There is positively no shortage of good ideas about when to serve (or eat) this easy macaroni salad. Full of color and loaded with flavor, its simple ingredients are what make it so versatile and so delicious. This classic dish makes it easy to bring a little homemade love to your family table!
Other Salads and Side Dishes You’ll Love!
Southern Macaroni Salad
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 C diced red bell pepper
- 1 C diced celery
- 1 C diced red onion
- 1 C sweet pickle relish
- 4 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 1 c mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- paprika and chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Cook macaroni al dente, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain. Rinse with cool water and allow to cool.
- While pasta is cooking and cooling, dice the onion, pepper, celery and eggs. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayo, mustard and sugar to create the dressing. Set aside.
- When macaroni is completely cooled, toss in vegetables, eggs and sweet relish. Gently fold in the mayonnaise dressing. Salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.
- Serve immediately or chill for 30 minutes or overnight before serving.
Making It Easy to Make & Serve
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you.
***Pin This Recipe!***