Looking for the lighter side of fall food? This bright apple coleslaw with its easy homemade buttermilk dressing is just what you need. A perfect go-to side dish when apples are in season, this ‘oh, so light and crisp’ slaw is tangy, sweet, and just the thing you’ve been looking for to easily round out your fall table.
What You’ll Need To Make This Apple Coleslaw
- shredded green cabbage
- shredded purple cabbage
- Honey Crisp apples
- Granny Smith apples
- green onions
- Parmesan cheese
- apple cider vinegar
- whole grain mustard
- garlic, black pepper, salt, sugar
Fall food can get heavy if we’re not careful. That’s why it’s good to have a few recipes like this up your sleeve. This crunchy apple coleslaw is loaded with color and taste. Purple cabbage, red and green apples and carrots make this dish as much a feast for your eyes as it is for your tastebuds!
Apples are a perfect addition to coleslaw for fall. Combined with this easy homemade buttermilk dressing, the whole kit and caboodle just sings! Creamy buttermilk with garlic infused apple cider vinegar and Parmesan cheese lets you know upfront that there is nothing ordinary about this dressing or the slaw you’re about to toss it in. And it is such a snap to put this dressing together. You can whip it up in just 5 minutes!
Just look at that forkful of delicious! This apple coleslaw is the perfect partner for hot sandwiches, BBQ, and the perfect side for a tail gate. Don’t miss out on the fresh, crisp side of what fall has to offer. What a great way to enjoy the season!
Pretties You Might Need to Make & Serve This and Other Southern Discourse Recipes!
Apple Coleslaw with Buttermilk Dressing
- 10 oz green cabbage shredded
- 6 oz purple cabbage shredded
- 3/4 C matchstick carrots
- 2 Honeycrisp Apples thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith Apples thinly sliced
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
Homemade Buttermilk Dressing
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1/4 C mayonnaise
- 1/8 C powdered Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vineagar
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- black pepper
- Toss the cabbage with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in a colander and set over a bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. After sitting for 30 minutes, discard any liquid that collects in the bowl.
- Combine the garlic and apple cider vinegar in a large measuring cup. Let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in the buttermilk, mayonnaise, mustard, remaining 1/4 teaspoon sugar and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Gently pat any excess moisture from the cabbage with a paper towel. Place cabbage, apples, carrots and green onions in a large bowl. Pour dressing over slaw and gently toss.
- Generously add black pepper. Toss again. Serve.
***Pin This Apple Coleslaw with Buttermilk Dressing Here***
Enjoy this and other great recipes at Weekend Potluck!