There’s nothing more comforting than the promising aroma of a tender pot roast wafting through the house. But the comfort of a family meal with pot roast doesn’t always mean peas & carrots. Sometimes it can mean fiesta! This easy recipe for melt-in-your-mouth Mexican Pot Roast uses salsa verde to create deep, delicious flavors. Serve it with a side of rice and wrap it in soft warm tortillas for the ultimate in family comfort food!
What You Need To Make Mexican Pot Roast
- eye of round roast
- salsa verde
- yellow onion
- red bell pepper
- dried parsley
- dried dill
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- salt & pepper
We love the smell of a good roast as it cooks. There’s just nothing better. As the aroma fills the kitchen and house, you can’t help but get a little excited about the meal that’s to come! And this simple variation from a classic pot roast makes it easy for roast and its wonderful aromas to show up more often in the regular menu rotation while still keeping family meal time inviting and lively!
Quite often, we serve pot roast with mashed potatoes or with potatoes cooked right in. But this recipe is delicious with a side of fluffy white rice, black or pinto beans, even easy Mexican Street Corn. Instead of dinner rolls, wrap tidbits of Mexican Pot Roast with its tangy salsa verde sauce in a warm soft tortilla for a new kind of comfort your family is going to love!
Tried and true favorites are good, but sometimes a little variety is even better! And I just know that you’re going to love the rich flavors and ease of this recipe, not to mention the whole world of options the leftovers open up- tacos, burritos, just to name a few. I can’t wait for you to welcome your family around the table with this dish!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Ultimate Mexican Pot Roast
- 3 lb eye of round beef roast
- 24 oz salsa verde, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried dill
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Place roast, fat side down, in dutch oven or large casserole dish with a lid. Pour 2 C salsa verde over roast. Add chopped onions and bell pepper around the sides.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper and other dried herbs and spices. Sprinkle over roast and vegetables. Top with sliced butter and chopped cilantro.
- Cover roast and bake in preheated oven for 2.5 hours or until it falls apart with a fork.
- Remove from oven. Let rest 5 minutes. Slice or shred using two forks. Top with rest of salsa verde & serve!
Can I Make This Pot Roast in My Slow Cooker?
- Yes, you can! Follow the instructions in the recipe card below and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
Other Mexican Recipes You’ll Love
- Ultimate Short Cut Mexican Cornbread
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Simply Authentic Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Layered Beef Enchiladas
Mexican Side Dishes & Apps to serve
- Mexican Street Corn Foil Packets
- Easy Green Chile Rice
- Tex Mex Guacamole
- Fresh Salsa with Cilantro & Lime
- Classic Mexican 7 Layer Dip
- Pineapple Cilantro Lime Spritzers
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***Pin This Mexican Pot Roast Recipe***