This rich & creamy Cauliflower Soup topped with bacon could almost be mistaken for potato… but it’s not! Riced Cauliflower, sharp Parmesan, a little cream cheese, cream and broth come together in this easy recipe to create a deliciously cheesy soup that is guaranteed to become a surprising family favorite!
What You Need To Make Parmesan Cauliflower Soup
- frozen riced cauliflower
- shaved Parmesan
- cream cheese
- chicken broth
- half & half (or cream)
- minced garlic
- salt & coarse ground black pepper
This wonderfully savory soup took me completely by surprise. I am notoriously picky when it comes to veggies. I generally prefer raw to cooked. So to be honest when I came across this soup while out, it was the Parmesan, not the cauliflower, that caught my eye and drew me in.
I love Parmesan’s nutty, slightly sharp flavor and the way it really amps up the umami, or savory, flavor of whatever it’s added to! And cheese soup, well, I adore that. So try this Parmesan Cauliflower soup? I felt I must!
Oh my! That first bite! I was hooked. So rich, soooo creamy. Almost luxurious. Talk about comfort food! From cauliflower? Oh, yes! I knew that I had to head straight home and re-create this soup for my family. We were going to 100% need this is in our regular soup rotation. And you were too!
Many cauliflower soup recipes begin with chopping a whole head of cauliflower or at least the florets, then either using the large pieces of cauliflower in the soup or pureeing it to create a creamy texture. I am thinking you and I need to bypass all of that and use riced cauliflower. It’s already chopped in small, lovely pieces that actually thicken the soup as it simmers. A short cut win!
Our secret short cut means that the only prep for this soup is dicing some celery and onions. Super easy. And maybe grating some cheese to avoid those anti-clumping agents that keep bagged cheese from melting smoothly and easily. Other than that, it’s just a matter of standing and stirring for about 8 minutes. That’s it!
How easy is that? It’s just the best when good food is also simple, easy food that your family will love. This soup is sure to gather everyone around the table where all you’ll hear is the clink of spoons and some requests for more!
Tips & Notes
- Can this soup be prepared using a crock pot or slow cooker? As this quick & easy recipe is written, no. There are 2 reasons:
- (1) Cooking down the onions, celery and garlic to create a layer of flavor must be done on the stove top. Dumping the veggies in a crock pot to steam or simmer in the soup ingredients doesn’t create the same the same level of flavor that your cauliflower will need to be savory delicious!
- (2) By the time you cook your vegetables and make the roux to thicken your soup (both have to be done stove top), you’re already halfway to quick success! So transferring your soup base to a slow cooker just to melt the cheeses seems kind of pointless.
- Will this soup freeze? It sure will. Just cover tightly in a freezer container and put it in the freezer. Thaw before reheating.
- Leftovers (if there are any) reheat easily! Just microwave or go low and slow on the stove top.
Creamy Short Cut Parmesan Cauliflower Soup
- 1 stick butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 C flour
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 C half & half or cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 C shaved Parmesan cheese
- 16 oz frozen riced cauliflower
- 3/4 - 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- bacon crumbles and chives for topping, if desired
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to turn translucent, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in flour. It should soak up the butter and coat the vegetables. Add broth gradually. Whisk until clump free.
- Turn down heat to low. Continue to whisk while adding the cream. Add cubed cream cheese. Stirring occasionally until melted. Add Parmesan cheese 1/2 C at a time. Stirring until melted, then adding more.
- When all of the cheese is added, creating a creamy soup base, add riced cauliflower. Stir to incorporate. Add salt & pepper to taste. Let simmer on the lowest heat setting for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick.
- Top with bacon, chives or even crushed red pepper flakes and enjoy!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Chicken & Ravioli Soup
- Southern Sweet Potato Soup
- Italian Tortellini Soup with Sausage & Spinach
- Slow Cooker Short Cut Potato Soup
- Farmhouse Cheese Soup
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***Pin This Parmesan Cauliflower Soup***