Cozy up and enjoy a warm cup of real chocolate! With hints of vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne and chile, this Homemade Mexican Hot Chocolate is so rich and creamy and has just enough of a spicy kick to warm you head to toe! On the stove top or in a crock pot, this simple recipe delivers indulgent cups of chocolatey goodness every time.
This is no dry mix chocolate drink. This is real chocolate. Sumptuous. Decadent. Delicious. And there is nothing more comforting than wrapping your hands around a cup of real, hot drinking chocolate on a chilly morning or evening. Thick, rich, extra creamy, but not too sweet, everything about Mexican Hot Chocolate adds just that extra bit of decadence that will make you swear you’re in a chocolate lover’s dream!
RELATED RECIPE: Hot Chocolate Snack Mix
What You Need To Make Mexican Hot Chocolate
- whole milk– your rich hot chocolate base
- sweetened condensed milk– your “dulce leche,” a sweet thickener for your hot chocolate
- dark chocolate chips– real melted chocolate (I use 72% cacao premium baking chips/chunks.)
- dark cocoa powder– that extra chocolatey goodness
- pure vanilla extract– brings a little smoothness to the chocolate
- chile powder– brings out those rich chocolate notes
- ground cinnamon– a little sweet heat
- cayenne pepper– a little spicy kick
How To Make Real Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Make the base- Over very low heat, use a whisk to melt the sweetened condensed milk and whole milk together.
- Add the chocolate– Whisk in the chocolate chips until they melt, then whisk in the cocoa powder.
- Spice it up– Whisk in the vanilla and spices. Let heat, stirring occasionally and serve!
Crock Pot Variation
- Turn crock pot on low. In a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup, heat ½ C of the whole milk. Whisk in cocoa powder until dissolved. May have to heat milk a second time and whisk more.
- Add heated milk and chocolate to warm crock pot with rest of ingredients. Cook on low for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Tips for Making the BEST Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Make sure to buy excellent quality chocolate. This recipe, after all, is all about the chocolate and will only be as good as the chocolateused.
- Dark chocolate chips and cocoa powder is a must. Milk chocolate will make this drink too sweet. This is a rich, dark chocolate drink.
- Add ⅛ teaspoon cayenne and taste before adding the rest. This is a spicy recipe, and adding the cayenne a little at a time will ensure that the recipe comes out just the way you like it!
- For that just right yum, we usually drink this chocolate in small cups instead of large mugs.
Other Hot Drink Recipes You’ll Love
- Butterscotch Coffee Creamer
- Spiced Caramel Apple Cider
- Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Coffee Creamer
- Cherry Mocha Coffee Creamer
- Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
- Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Creamer
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 C whole milk
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- In a large sauce pan over low heat, warm whole milk and sweetened condensed milk until condensed milk has melted.
- Add in dark chocolate chips and whisk until melted. Whisk in dark cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and chili powder until dissolved. Whisk in vanilla. Keep heat very low. Stir occasionally until chocolate is hot, then serve with marshmallows or whipped cream.