This is one of the most delicious Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipes for the holidays! Loaded with seasoned sausage, green & red apples and plump, tart cranberries, this dressing is moist and full of seasonal flavors. Subtly sweet and richly savory, you may never want to try another cornbread dressing recipe again!
What You Need To Make Sausage Apple Cranberry Dressing
- Yellow cornbread mix
- Granny Smith & Honey Crisp Apples
- dried cranberries
- chicken broth
- cream of chicken soup
- poultry seasoning, salt & pepper
Some years we like to mix things up a little bit for the holidays. Instead of our favorite cornbread & squash dressing, we like to make this wonderfully aromatic Sausage Apple Cranberry Dressing. It is chock full of delicious fall & winter flavors and has crisp, golden edges that just can’t be beat. Plus, nothing says holiday goodness like the sweet of the fruit against the savory, seasoned cornbread and sausage. It’s perfect sidekick for turkey, pork loin, even prime rib!
Another reason we love this recipe is that it is a real time saver. No sitting extra bread out to dry over night. And the fruit, meat, onions and celery are cooked right into the base cornbread (see photo above), creating a richly flavored, moist bread and cutting down on final bake time.
Spicy sausage can be used if you like a little kick. It adds another layer of savory goodness that can’t be ignored. Bring on the gravy! My mouth is just watering thinking about it, isn’t yours?
The making and the passing on of a good cornbread dressing recipe is almost a sacred thing here in the South. And this Sausage Apple Cranberry Dressing is sure to take it’s proper place among the ranks. All the right flavors, baked up in just the right way, your family is going to love the cornbread dressing this year!
Sausage Apple Cranberry Dressing
- 3 6.5 oz yellow cornbread mix packages
- buttermilk as directed
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb ground sausage, browned
- 1 medium honeycrisp apple, chopped
- 1 medium granny smith apple, chopped
- 1 C dried cranberries
- 1/2 C diced yellow onion
- 1/2 C diced celery
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 ° Fahrenheit. Add 1 Tbsp oil to your skillet. Place in oven while it is preheating.
- Prepare cornbread in a mixing bowl as instructed on mix packages. Use buttermilk as a substitute for the water or milk designated on the mix. Use the same measurement for the buttermilk as designated on the mix for the other liquids.
- Stir apples, cranberries, browned sausage, celery, and onion into the cornbread batter.
- Pour cornbread batter into heated skillet. Bake for the time designated on the mix package. You may have to bake a few minutes longer to compensate for the moisture the apples release into the cornbread as it bakes.
- Remove cornbread from oven after baking. Allow to cool, but not completely. Turn oven temperature down to 350 degrees.
- While cornbread is still warm, remove from skillet and break into pieces in large mixing bowl. Add butter and mix together, breaking down the cornbread.
- Add soup, eggs and seasonings to cornbread mixture. Mix ingredients together until all are well-incorporated. Stir in just enough broth so that the cornbread mixture looks almost like a batter again (don't make it overly wet), about half the can.
- Spoon cornbread dressing into 9x13 casserole dish. Bake at 350 ° Fahrenheit for 30- 40 minutes or until dressing is golden brown and set in the middle.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Cornbread & Squash Dressing
- Louisiana Dirty Rice
- Beef & Mushroom Rice
- Horseradish Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese & Garlic
- Sauteed Green Beans with Bacon & Mushrooms
MAKING IT EASY TO HOST & SERVE
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
If you like these recommended products, then you’ll love Southern Discourse’s Amazon Store!
***Pin This Sausage Apple Cornbread Dressing Recipe***