Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake is a light & refreshing citrus dream! An easy sheet cake recipe made using a boxed cake mix and a few extra special ingredients just sings with sunshine-y orange flavor from orange soda, orange jello and and delightfully fluffy orange whipped topping!
What You Need To Make To The Best Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake
- vanilla cake mix
- orange soda
- orange gelatin
- heavy whipping cream
- orange slices and mint leaves (optional garnishes)
Just because it’s sheet cake doesn’t mean it has to be boring! This simple sheet cake has a short ingredient list but delivers big on delicious citrus flavor. Tender vanilla cake gets a bubbly burst of orange from sparkling orange soda, then is saturated with an orange gelatin poke cake filling. And if you’ve ever had a poke cake before, you know that filling always results in gorgeous slices showing off ribbons of color and flavor!
But don’t let the orange pour over filling do all the work. Slicing the cake beforehand into neat squares and topping each with an orange slice and mint leaf makes each serving feel extra special. (See tips below.) Want to add even more fun? Add candy orange slices instead of fruit! Or maybe your group loves sprinkles? You can even add a little orange zest for an elegant flavor punch.
Tips for Making the Best Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake
- Orange soda can be purchased in 12 oz cans or bottles like the one pictured in the ingredients photo above. A 12 oz can or bottle is perfect for this cake, providing 8 oz for the cake and 4 oz for the poke filling.
- Putting your cake in the freezer after the baking will help it cool more quickly.
- Make sure you allow enough time for the filling to set properly. This is key for a moist cake as opposed to a soggy cake.
- When slicing your cake, rinse your knife under cold water and wipe it dry before slicing. Do this after every slice with the knife for clean cuts.
- To garnish: slice the cake into 12 equal squares. Top each square with an orange quarter and mint leaf.
Other Citrus Desserts you’ll Love
- Triple Layer Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd Buttercream
- Southern Lemon Squares with Basil
- Dreamy Coconut Pineapple Trifle
- Tropical Orange Jello Salad
- Mason Jar Lemon Blueberry Lushes
- Lemon Drop Crinkle Cookies
- Lemon Supreme Monkey Bread
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!
RATE IT, LEAVE A COMMENT OR SNAP A PHOTO.
Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (15.25 oz box)
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 C orange soda
Poke Cake Filling
- 1 C boiling water
- ½ C cold water
- ½ C orange soda
- (1) 3 oz box of orange gelatin
Whipped Orange Frosting
- 1.5 C heavy whipping cream
- (1) 3 oz box of orange gelatin
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Grease bottom of 9x13 cake pan.
- Using a mixer, mix vanilla cake mix, eggs, butter and orange soda on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into cake pan and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Set cake aside to cool (about one hour).
- When cake is cool, use a skewer or skinny handled wooden spoon to poke holes in cake. In a 2 C measuring cup, heat 1 C water to boiling in microwave. Add gelatin to boiling water and stir until dissolved. Add cold water and orange soda. Mix well. Pour gelatin mixture over cake, making sure it gets in all of the holes in the cake. Put cake in the refrigerator for 2 hours so that the gelatin can set.
- When ready to frost, use a mixer to whip 1.5 C of heavy whipping cream and orange gelatin until cream forms stiff peaks. Frost cake with whipped orange topping.
***Pin This Orange Dreamsicle Cake to your favorite Pinterest Board***